GU Hanwell Flight

WJM

Featured Posts

I need to get up Hanwell flight this week. Waterscape website was showing two stoppages this week but now it is showing only one, ending on the 16th. The BW helpline tell me that what the website shows is totally up to date and can be taken as fact. Does anyone have any more 'on the ground' details of the work going on, is it likely to overrun?

I need to get up Hanwell flight this week. Waterscape website was showing two stoppages this week but now it is showing only one, ending on the 16th. The BW helpline tell me that what the website shows is totally up to date and can be taken as fact. Does anyone have any more 'on the ground' details of the work going on, is it likely to overrun?

In a nutshell I think there is no passage this week but should be ok at the weekend.

From a colleague who should know.

Notice of essential works.

Please note that at Hanwell lock No 91 there will be no navigation through the lock on the following dates.

Thursday 17th November

Friday 18th November

During this period British Waterways will be carrying out essential leak prevention work to the lock gates.

British Waterways London apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

For further information please check www.waterscape.com or call Tel: 020 7985 7780

And

Notice of essential works.

Please note that at Hanwell lock No 92 there will be no navigation through the lock on the following dates.

Monday 14th November

Tuesday 15th November

Wednesday 16th November

During this period British Waterways will be carrying out essential leak prevention and maintenance work to the lock gates and structure.

British Waterways London apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

For further information please check www.waterscape.com or call Tel: 020 7985 7780

So, in summary, there is no passage through the Hanwell flight until they have finished this Friday. They are not planning to overrun.

If I hear anything more I will let you know.

HTH

D

Thanks Debbie,

Looks like I will have to go via Limehouse. The lesson here is that the Waterscape website is not fully up to date. The BW phone helpline was insistent that it was, good job I checked here!

I had a quick chat with some of the maintenance crew tonight related to another issue and thought I would ask if there is any slight possibility of passage between 91 opening and 92 being closed. If there is, there is possibly a chance of passage Thursday afternoon up the flight but you had better PM me or better still call me on my work number early Thursday morning and I will check for you. There is a slight chance that works might slip an extra day but it all depends on what they find as they continue. Everyone is working their hardest to get the works complete to the original schedule and the crew doing the work are going to try and let boats waiting through if they can between the two different stoppages. :construction: If I get a mo I will try and look into why Waterscape not 100% accurate but as I am totally snowed under since returning to work after my little accident I really cannot promise anything for certain whilst I prioritise my main stuff to catch up. Normal service to resume a.s.a.p.

Rest assured that if we can help we will do because that it what we are here to try and do to the best of our limited resources. Oh, :unsure: I guess I might just have opened another can of worms. Do I need my tin hat and coat yet? ..... Runs for bunker. :ninja:

D

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your very excellent responses, much appreciated. I am going to go 'the other way', the Thames down to Limehouse. Its no problem.

If only I had the time to come too. I've never done the trip that way. Every time I've done it, its been upstream. I would love to experience the other way as crew before attempting it myself in my own boat. Hope you have a great trip.

D

I have spent most of my life racing wild water kayaks at international level - and every time I throw my narrowboat into Limehouse Lock from the Thames I find myself shaking like a leaf! I always go straight in on full power - torpedo style! The 'turn and go back up' method looks too much like snooker to me!

I have spent most of my life racing wild water kayaks at international level - and every time I throw my narrowboat into Limehouse Lock from the Thames I find myself shaking like a leaf! I always go straight in on full power - torpedo style! The 'turn and go back up' method looks too much like snooker to me!

I received this auto email update from editor@waterscape last week:

Lock 91, Hanwell Flight - Grand Union

Monday 21 November 2011 - Tuesday 22 November 2011

Installation of timber implants and associated repairs. There will be no navigation at this time.

Enquiries: 020 7985 7200

I received this auto email update from editor@waterscape last week:

Lock 91, Hanwell Flight - Grand Union

Monday 21 November 2011 - Tuesday 22 November 2011

Installation of timber implants and associated repairs. There will be no navigation at this time.

Enquiries: 020 7985 7200

I understand things didn't quite go as planned and so the stoppage is slightly longer than desired.

Sorry about that. Hope not too many people have had problems.

D

I understand things didn't quite go as planned and so the stoppage is slightly longer than desired.

Sorry about that. Hope not too many people have had problems.

D

Hello,

any news on the flight?

I know pete wakeham is at paddington waiting to get down and there is a handful of us waiting for coal,gas. So far I hear Friday,Sat is on the cards.

cheers

Rob

Hello,

any news on the flight?

I know pete wakeham is at paddington waiting to get down and there is a handful of us waiting for coal,gas. So far I hear Friday,Sat is on the cards.

cheers

Rob

As far as I know all should be clear for passage tomorrow. The Clitheroes emergency stoppage is sorted (we won't say anything about a wide beam craft damaging gates .... oh no ... sorry I'll get my tin hat now ;-) ) and the Hanwell stoppage was finished today so passage should be possible tomorrow. Any problems ring the London enquiries line on 0207 985 7200 and if you are really unlucky you might end up being put through to me :wacko:

D

As far as I know all should be clear for passage tomorrow. The Clitheroes emergency stoppage is sorted (we won't say anything about a wide beam craft damaging gates .... oh no ... sorry I'll get my tin hat now ;-) ) and the Hanwell stoppage was finished today so passage should be possible tomorrow. Any problems ring the London enquiries line on 0207 985 7200 and if you are really unlucky you might end up being put through to me :wacko:

D

not unlucky at all! Go on, tell all, was the fatty going up or down? :cheers:

Are you sure it's actually open, I was on my way down earlier and the pound below lock 92 is about 5 foot lower than it should be.

Cheers

Steve

I haven't been up to see but BW called me back to say it had opened on Friday. I haven't seen any boats about but thats not unusual for this time of year.