llangollen canal & anglowelsh

captainlurch

Featured Posts

For some reason, other then the title, my last post isn't showing up. So I'll try again...

I'm new to the forum & to narrowboating, though I'm a professional mariner by trade. I've booked a week with anglowelsh at their Bunbury base for mid-May. I'm trying to plan the trip but I need to know what speed I can make going upstream on the Llangollen canal (65 ft boat). Also how much traffic do you think there will be in May. This is something I've been wanting to do for 20 yrs & I don't mind having a "busman's holiday", but the rest of the group aren't mariners. All are eager to do the work but I know they'll want to get some shore leave during business hours. Can we make it to Llangollen & back in a week without steaming for 9 hrs a day? That's why I need to know what the current is.

What are the allowed operating times for the canal? Sun rise - sun set or a specific time?

Cheers!

You should be able to make Llangollen easily in a week from Bunbury. It won't be too busy in May, but if you are leaving Bunbury on a saturday, you will hit the peak time at Llangollen mid week. This is not such a problem now there is more mooring there, but you need to send someone ahead at the "narrows" - there is a 500 yard stretch with no passing places and you do not have sight of the full length.

The flow on the Llangollen is about 1/2 - 3/4 mph, so it will slow you down a bit. You will come back quicker than you go up though, so you will be able to judge how much time to spend not cruising easier if you press on up to llangollen then take it easier coming back.

You will make Llangollen in three days easily from Bunbury.

You should be able to make Llangollen easily in a week from Bunbury. It won't be too busy in May, but if you are leaving Bunbury on a saturday, you will hit the peak time at Llangollen mid week. This is not such a problem now there is more mooring there, but you need to send someone ahead at the "narrows" - there is a 500 yard stretch with no passing places and you do not have sight of the full length.

The flow on the Llangollen is about 1/2 - 3/4 mph, so it will slow you down a bit. You will come back quicker than you go up though, so you will be able to judge how much time to spend not cruising easier if you press on up to llangollen then take it easier coming back.

You will make Llangollen in three days easily from Bunbury.

Hire boats are supposed to stop before sunset - which up here will be 9ish in May.