Throttle creep Telex control

Georgina

Featured Posts

Can anyone help with this. I have a Teleflex single side mounted throttle control working on my Beta 1305 engine. It has a red central button to select neutral position and the lever is held in place by an Allen screw acting on a spline. I have recently bought the boat and inherited the problem. The lever control works correctly up to just over tickover speed. As one increases revs as soon as I let go of the lever it drops back to just over tickover. If I accelerate through this 'slippage area' the lever grips again and holds the speed - the problem is that I am then at full speed and travelling at 3 to 4 mph. It means I have an all or nothing situation without cruising speed. There must be some sort of friction clutch but I cannot find it. Whoever designed this mounting cleverly put the access panel on the back of the pedestal leaving a two inch gap between the pedestal and te side of the boat - and secured it by slot head screws! Even if I get this out it will be very difficult to see inside except, perhaps, with a mirror, and working on it even worse. I can see the cable attachment from underneath via the locker on which the pedestal stands. If I attack it from the front I can remove the lever easily but am then faced with the plastic cover which does not seem to want to come off easily - it may be paint stuck or else is on some sort of snap fixing. I am wary of force as I do not want to break the cover. Does anyone know how to get inside these, is there a friction device, and how does the plastic cover come off?

You need to remove the plastic cover. The friction allen screw is underneath.

Paul.

Forgot to mention, carefully lever it off with a screwdriver or two. It clips back onto some lugs (if you don't break it).

Many thanks to all. It seems I will have to try and get the plastic cover off without breaking. Two points arise though. There do not seem to be many other makers of these controls TX, Teleflex and Morse are now all the same company. Secondly I came across the 'U' bolt advice elsewhere in a Yachting blog. Seems the guy was given that advice by Teleflex themselves!! I agree, I don't realy like it - but the same effects would be caused by amore acute bend in the cable. Slowly the inner cable would cut into the outer and you would be back where you started. I let you all know what happens.

I have exactly the same problem and it is really annoying.

Tightening the adjuster just stiffens up the control lever but it still won`t stay at the set revs.

A small squeegee mop balanced on the lever does the trick but it falls off if I need to go into reverse quickly.

A man that does things to narrowboats has done some adjustments at the engine end so I will report after going out next week.