Advice needed for first time boater

craig222

Featured Posts

Hi firstly i would like to say hello to you all i am new to this my name is Craig am 28 i have got a girlriend and beautiful daughter and i have decided i would like to get a boat for us to spend some time on as a family and i was hoping that maybe i could get a little bit of advice and get to know some of you.

I would like a boat that i can do some work on myself, mainly cosmetically, not so much mechanically. I dont mind a little work but dont really know alot so would rather know that mechanically the boat is sound

I live in Lincolnshire and will be mooring my boat on the river ancholme, i want a cruiser for use at weekends round rivers and canals i also would like plenty of space like a 4 berth??

I would ideally like to spend 2-3k on the boat then maybe another 1-2k tidying her up...Is this realistic ?? Also what suggestions do you have on which boat i should go for do you think??

All the boats i see in this kind of price range are pre 1980 is this ok??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i really am a total new comer to this and no less than nothing!!

Thankyou

Your budget seems realisitc there are plenty of boats out there for that price. Look around as many as you can before taking the plunge and commiting to a purchase. The condition of the boat will be the most important thing in that price range. Look for a boat that has been well maintained, maintenance schedules can be left to slip on older, cheaper craft so look for one that has been well cared for and serviced on a regular basis. The boat will most likely be propelled by an outboard so look for one with a newish engine.

Boats in your budget will be older Norman's, Vikings, Teal, possible Freemans. Look for a popular brand then when it is time to sell it will be easy to move on.

What Phylis said

You need to think how you are going to get it to the Ancholme if the boat isn't already there. A trip down the Humber is not really a good idea for someone new to boating, and unless you have your own trailer haulage will start adding to cost considerably, dependent on distance. For example, haulage from Driffield or Newark bight be £1-200, but from Bristol well over £600.

As you want to keep the boat on the Ancholme you'll find boats on other waterways apparently similar for very different prices. For example, we paid £9k for Juno, but you could get a very similar boat for less than £6k on Cambridgeshire. A lot of the difference is that Juno came with the rights to a mooring just off the Kennet and Avon canal, where moorings rarely come up, but there would be no discount if you didn't want the mooring.

Anyway, good luck, keep us posted

Thanks for the replys i have spent hours reading loads of information and looking through all the classifieds, and i still know nothing theres a hell of alot to take in!

Your right from what i have seen it is all the boats your have listed above i think i especially like the Norman Conquest, Teal 22, Birchwood 25 and also quite like the look of the Dawncraft boats, they seem a little more spacious on the inside. Has anyone got any experience of these boats?

I have read a few things about the Humber being a little bit tricky and until now hadnt really given it any thought i just thought it would be as easy as buying the boat and having a trip bringing her home! Thats how naive i am to all this! I will have to give that matter some more thought

Also is there anywhere you would recommend going where i can view as many boats as possible in one go??

For instance a Marina anyone knows of thats reasonably close to me, that you know has alot of boats for sale in my kind of budget.Dont mind a few hours or so in my quest

I would seriously recommend having the boat transported to your new mooring. A first time trip out on the Humber isnt ideal. You really need to know your boat before setting out on such a voyage. It can get pretty choppy out there which can cause all sorts of problems for boats not prepared for such a trip.

ETA: We moor on the Fossdyke not a huge distance from where you intend to moor, so know the area quite well. Travel around all of your local marinas to get look at as many boats as possible.

Edited by Phylis

Dawncraft boats, they seem a little more spacious on the inside. Has anyone got any experience of these boats?

Dawncraft made approx 3000 GRP from 1967 to 1985 in various lengths from 19ft Dandy through the 32ft centre cockpit boats.

They were pitched at more the entry level of boating, many are powered by outboard engines that "sit" inboard.

The boats were built around one or two central wooden "keels" - some of these have rotted over the years that can lead to expensive repairs.

There is strong following for these boats and overall seem to be standing the test of time well. Prices range from a few hundred quid for a real project boat throught to several thousand for a restored "turn key" boat. There are 3 on Ebay at this moment showing some good variation

Any Dawncraft you buy will be at least 25 years old and will of course been changed to a lesser or greater degree over that period of time. As one of the other posts said a boat of this age is all about condition and your abilities to improve that condition. Take your time, don't buy the first, there's always another boat and don't overpay.

Just one insider piece of informattion from a previous Dawncraft owner - all the rear cockpit boats have a central beam that runs left to right in the main cabin ( supports the roof ) - if you bang your head on this beam less than three times a day you will be doing well - I never managed it :lol:

I would seriously recommend having the boat transported to your new mooring. A first time trip out on the Humber isnt ideal. You really need to know your boat before setting out on such a voyage. It can get pretty choppy out there which can cause all sorts of problems for boats not prepared for such a trip.

ETA: We moor on the Fossdyke not a huge distance from where you intend to moor, so know the area quite well. Travel around all of your local marinas to get look at as many boats as possible.

I am starting to realise that this is probably what i am going to have to do as more and more people are telling me how tricky it can be!

Yeah that is my intention to go looking around as many marinas as possible and see what i can see, and also talk to as many people as possible without being too much of a pain ha.

Where do you recommend as good marinas to go to with lots of varietys of boats to look at, as you say u have been to lots in this area. I went to South Ancholme today and also down the river at brigg and had a little look round. The Norman 20ft look much smaller in real life than in the pictures ha!! Please dont say they look about 20ft!

What boat have you got at the moment??

Dawncraft made approx 3000 GRP from 1967 to 1985 in various lengths from 19ft Dandy through the 32ft centre cockpit boats.

They were pitched at more the entry level of boating, many are powered by outboard engines that "sit" inboard.

The boats were built around one or two central wooden "keels" - some of these have rotted over the years that can lead to expensive repairs.

There is strong following for these boats and overall seem to be standing the test of time well. Prices range from a few hundred quid for a real project boat throught to several thousand for a restored "turn key" boat. There are 3 on Ebay at this moment showing some good variation

Any Dawncraft you buy will be at least 25 years old and will of course been changed to a lesser or greater degree over that period of time. As one of the other posts said a boat of this age is all about condition and your abilities to improve that condition. Take your time, don't buy the first, there's always another boat and don't overpay.

Just one insider piece of informattion from a previous Dawncraft owner - all the rear cockpit boats have a central beam that runs left to right in the main cabin ( supports the roof ) - if you bang your head on this beam less than three times a day you will be doing well - I never managed it :lol:

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply to me yes i have seen those 3 ads on ebay if i remember rightly i thought the 3000 pound one look an interesting ad and worth a viewing and i am watching thae item, but thought the other 2 were a little over priced for the condition etc, but hey what do i know. What were your thoughts?

I can imagine i will be banging my head alot in any of these low end budget boats i am looking at as i am 6ft3 and not exactly on the slim side neither ha

What boat have you got at the moment

Give David Mawby Boat Sales a call. He is based in central Nottingham at Castle Marina and is extremely knowledgable about cruisers and usually has a wide range of them in stock (and can source them if he hasn't). I think the peace of mind in having an expert check-out the boat out of the water along with the after-sales service is invaluable. He also polishes the boats up nicely, gets new boat safety certificates on them, has an outboard engine warranty for a month and - a quite key factor in this case - will deliver free anywhere within 150 miles of Nottingham.

Whilst boats may be cheaper on-line or in brokerages, David also sometimes lets boats go at lower prices if they need a bit of cosmetic work inside the cabin, so it is worth asking.

We have bought both our boats from him - a 21' Mayland for around £5k and more recently a Viking for £12k. Another family member recently bought a boat from him for £3k.

If it requires cosmetic work in the cabin, you can budget a lot less for fixing it up than you have stated. Several hundred should be sufficient to get the interior into shape and the difference would be better ploughed into the boat purchase itself IMO

I was about to say David Mawby, we spent many an hour mulling over different boats in his yard. He is very helpful and presents his boats very well.

Pretty much every marina has an area of their yard set aside for cheaper craft. We visited most of them in our area including, York Marina, Boroughbridge, Burton Waters (where we are now) Newark Marina, Farndon Marina, Lincoln Marina, Lincoln Boat Club, Sheffield canal basin, Blue Water Marina, Thorne marina, Selby boatcentre, Hull marina, Brigg, the list goes on. We just visited everyone that we could find weekend after weekend. The marina staff are usually friendly and will niormally contact you if they find a boat that they think is suitable for you.

ETA: NYA and Norfolk Boat Sales are good for cheaper boats but not exactly local. Remeber that an asking price is just that and that there is normally some scope for a reduction on that with your offer so dont be put off by boats that appear outside of your budget.

Edited by Phylis

Give David Mawby Boat Sales a call. He is based in central Nottingham at Castle Marina and is extremely knowledgable about cruisers and usually has a wide range of them in stock (and can source them if he hasn't). I think the peace of mind in having an expert check-out the boat out of the water along with the after-sales service is invaluable. He also polishes the boats up nicely, gets new boat safety certificates on them, has an outboard engine warranty for a month and - a quite key factor in this case - will deliver free anywhere within 150 miles of Nottingham.

Whilst boats may be cheaper on-line or in brokerages, David also sometimes lets boats go at lower prices if they need a bit of cosmetic work inside the cabin, so it is worth asking.

We have bought both our boats from him - a 21' Mayland for around £5k and more recently a Viking for £12k. Another family member recently bought a boat from him for £3k.

If it requires cosmetic work in the cabin, you can budget a lot less for fixing it up than you have stated. Several hundred should be sufficient to get the interior into shape and the difference would be better ploughed into the boat purchase itself IMO

I was about to say David Mawby, we spent many an hour mulling over different boats in his yard. He is very helpful and presents his boats very well.

Pretty much every marina has an area of their yard set aside for cheaper craft. We visited most of them in our area including, York Marina, Boroughbridge, Burton Waters (where we are now) Newark Marina, Farndon Marina, Lincoln Marina, Lincoln Boat Club, Sheffield canal basin, Blue Water Marina, Thorne marina, Selby boatcentre, Hull marina, Brigg, the list goes on. We just visited everyone that we could find weekend after weekend. The marina staff are usually friendly and will niormally contact you if they find a boat that they think is suitable for you.

ETA: NYA and Norfolk Boat Sales are good for cheaper boats but not exactly local. Remeber that an asking price is just that and that there is normally some scope for a reduction on that with your offer so dont be put off by boats that appear outside of your budget.

Thankyou very much for these replies, i will contact him and go over there for a chat and look around i did see his adverts a few times while looking on the interent and also in a magazine. Thats what i plan to do over the next few weeks months just visit as many marinas as possible and look round not rush into anything i will keep u updated and thanks again

Hi Craig,

I am very new to boating too, having bought my Buckingham 27ft cruiser I feel that I may have rushed into buying it. I probably could have got it cheaper, but the broker wouldnt budge on the asking price, neither would he let me contact the owner directly. However, I had alot of questions to ask, but the broker said write down the questions and we will ask him on your behalf, new to boating as I say I thought he was doing me a favour, the questions I wanted answering were answered but only 'just'. ie; when does the engine need servicing? broker said on behalf of the owner ''upto them'', next question - when does it need antifouling? again answer from the broker on 'behalf of the owner' was last done 2 yrs ago......this is how most of my questions were answered...I told the broker I needed to speak to the owner of the boat and was told he was down South for 2 months. So because I liked the look of her, and because she had all the requirements (Cooker, sink, hot water, fridge, shower etc)I needed I bought her. Its been a rollercoaster so far, as 2 months on I have paid the broker the full price of the boat and not yet signed anything to say she is yet mine.!!! I keep chasing the broker but all he keeps saying is that I need to spk to another person that works here as she deals with all the paperwork, she works in the week, I work in the week and therefore cannot get to spk to her.....so it goes on......

However, I dont regret buying my cruiser but just wish I had looked at a lot more before committing.

Good luck in whatever you decide to buy

Regards

Rachel

Hi Craig,

I am very new to boating too, having bought my Buckingham 27ft cruiser I feel that I may have rushed into buying it. I probably could have got it cheaper, but the broker wouldnt budge on the asking price, neither would he let me contact the owner directly. However, I had alot of questions to ask, but the broker said write down the questions and we will ask him on your behalf, new to boating as I say I thought he was doing me a favour, the questions I wanted answering were answered but only 'just'. ie; when does the engine need servicing? broker said on behalf of the owner ''upto them'', next question - when does it need antifouling? again answer from the broker on 'behalf of the owner' was last done 2 yrs ago......this is how most of my questions were answered...I told the broker I needed to speak to the owner of the boat and was told he was down South for 2 months. So because I liked the look of her, and because she had all the requirements (Cooker, sink, hot water, fridge, shower etc)I needed I bought her. Its been a rollercoaster so far, as 2 months on I have paid the broker the full price of the boat and not yet signed anything to say she is yet mine.!!! I keep chasing the broker but all he keeps saying is that I need to spk to another person that works here as she deals with all the paperwork, she works in the week, I work in the week and therefore cannot get to spk to her.....so it goes on......

However, I dont regret buying my cruiser but just wish I had looked at a lot more before committing.

Good luck in whatever you decide to buy

Regards

Rachel

Hi Roxy, thanks for taking the time to reply.I dont know if what happened to you is standard in this game with brokers or what but it certainly doesnt sound it and i hope it all works out for the best for you, and i am sure it will. I arent gonna rush into anything gonna take my time. I did nearly go to buy a 32ft Norman at a very very cheap price as a "project" but been informed today it has gone. Thinking that it is probably for the best as it was a lot of work annd quite a distance away

Hi Roxy, thanks for taking the time to reply.I dont know if what happened to you is standard in this game with brokers or what but it certainly doesnt sound it and i hope it all works out for the best for you, and i am sure it will. I arent gonna rush into anything gonna take my time. I did nearly go to buy a 32ft Norman at a very very cheap price as a "project" but been informed today it has gone. Thinking that it is probably for the best as it was a lot of work annd quite a distance away

I bought this boat as its what I could afford at that time and I certainly wouldnt of dreamt of buying a boat as a project, but Im finding out the hard way, a boat will always need money spending on it one way or another. Admittedly she does need a good clean, and most things worked on the boat. Rewiring needs doing as its appalling! how it got a BSC till 2013 is beyond me, but Ive persevered with it and so far ok. Pump to shower did not work, ( I wasnt told this!) so I bought and fitted a new one which now works fine, I have a calorifier which heats water up from the engine, however at the weekend I discovered a black cable leading from it in the engine bay with no plug attached, I guess this is what heats the water up off the mains when Im moored up, but why has the plug been removed from it??? Also most of the plug sockets dont work on the boat of which theres 5 but only 1 that works!!?? these are the sort of questions I need to speak to the previous owner about. Horn didnt work, was corroded so bought a new one, nav lights didnt work, do now but only for a little while then blows fuse. Speedo dont work.....but I only go at snails pace anyway. Fitted fridge worked but doesn't go cold, help from a fellow boater told me to take it out and turn it upside down for a couple of hours which I did, again it lit and started to cool but I had to go home so switched gas valve off. On my return, the bloody thing wouldnt light up!!!! Told probably needed a new thermocouple which to repair I would be better off buying a new one. So ive now got a Beer fridge on board :D

I guess all these things take time, hopefully get there in the end, but I certainly couldnt do it without the help of the people on this forum and people Ive met at my moorings and whilst out cruising.

On the bright side of things, engine runs like a dream, ive got a new horn that works lol, hot water, heating and a shower and a new BEER Fridge!

Aswell as new ropes, fenders etc blah blah blah......

I bought this boat as its what I could afford at that time and I certainly wouldnt of dreamt of buying a boat as a project, but Im finding out the hard way, a boat will always need money spending on it one way or another. Admittedly she does need a good clean, and most things worked on the boat. Rewiring needs doing as its appalling! how it got a BSC till 2013 is beyond me, but Ive persevered with it and so far ok. Pump to shower did not work, ( I wasnt told this!) so I bought and fitted a new one which now works fine, I have a calorifier which heats water up from the engine, however at the weekend I discovered a black cable leading from it in the engine bay with no plug attached, I guess this is what heats the water up off the mains when Im moored up, but why has the plug been removed from it??? Also most of the plug sockets dont work on the boat of which theres 5 but only 1 that works!!?? these are the sort of questions I need to speak to the previous owner about. Horn didnt work, was corroded so bought a new one, nav lights didnt work, do now but only for a little while then blows fuse. Speedo dont work.....but I only go at snails pace anyway. Fitted fridge worked but doesn't go cold, help from a fellow boater told me to take it out and turn it upside down for a couple of hours which I did, again it lit and started to cool but I had to go home so switched gas valve off. On my return, the bloody thing wouldnt light up!!!! Told probably needed a new thermocouple which to repair I would be better off buying a new one. So ive now got a Beer fridge on board :D

I guess all these things take time, hopefully get there in the end, but I certainly couldnt do it without the help of the people on this forum and people Ive met at my moorings and whilst out cruising.

On the bright side of things, engine runs like a dream, ive got a new horn that works lol, hot water, heating and a shower and a new BEER Fridge!

Aswell as new ropes, fenders etc blah blah blah......

Thats the best way to think about it like you are doing, thinking of the positives. One thing i have noticed is there are plenty of good people willing to help and advise which is nice. I cant wait to join you in the struggle!1 I am looking forward to finding the right boat for me but will not rush into it and hopefully i will be seeing some of the good people i have spoken to on here n other forums in the near future