Major Narrowboat shows/events

junior_7178

Featured Posts

Are there any? Does anyone know when they are? And what can i expect to see at one?

Im hopefuly going Liveaboard at the end of the year and want to get a bit of a feel for boats,what sort of things to look for and what size i need.

Would going to any shows be useful?

Ive just found out that i can book 2 weeks holiday this summer so im trying to find out dates so i can make sure i get the right time off.

Are there any? Does anyone know when they are? And what can i expect to see at one?

Im hopefuly going Liveaboard at the end of the year and want to get a bit of a feel for boats,what sort of things to look for and what size i need.

Would going to any shows be useful?

Ive just found out that i can book 2 weeks holiday this summer so im trying to find out dates so i can make sure i get the right time off.

My best advice for you would be to go to Crick this year in May,and better by far to have a holiday in a boat before you go the full hog and buy one,not always everyones cuppa beyond the idea!However getting as many books on the subject ,ie,Waterways world,Canal Boat,etc is a good starters for seeing whats about,and at the show get to go on as many as you can,and talk to live aboarders ,thats got to be a must,life on the waterways is fun and enjoyable,but if your unsure about it,test the water first,(excuse the pun)or it could be a very expensive mistake,other than that, good luck.if you get to talk to people here on the website I am sure someone will let you on theirs .I would be only pleased to let you on mine,Take care

I definitely agree with Iteldoo, it is worth hiring one for a week (or even hire two different ones, each for a week, if you've got 2 weeks holiday). It's amazing how your ideas develop as you realise what features you like and what features you hate. Sure it's expensive to hire a boat for a week, but it's small change compared with the amount it could cost you to buy a boat that isn't what you want!

Another event you could go to is the IWA National Festival on the Thames near Pangbourne over the August Bank Holiday.

You will find that almost everyone you meet will be keen to invite you on board their "pride and joy", and discuss its features with you.

Allan

Yeah, i'd very much agree with the above.

- Hiring a narrowboat is a bit pricey, but its a lot cheape than buying the wrong boat!

Ive never been to crick, but ive heard its very good.

- The IWA natiational is also a great event, we where there last year at preston brook, and we will be there again this year at BealePark (which as allan says is near pangbourne)

- Hopfully we will get ourselfs in the "special" boats section as well, which will be nice. And anyones welcome aboard.

Daniel

I think i may try and get to the Thames event if i can find out the dates.My main aim is just to get on a few boats and generaly chat to other liveaboards about things that might help me when i purchase my boat.

I understand why people say i should maybe hire one for a week,but im a single guy and dont realy fancy a week on holiday on my own.If i could talk a few mates into it then maybe.

I think i can get a feel for what it would be like on a boat just from going inside a few.Im in the military so im quite used to the simple life.At the moment i live in a room thats about 12' x 12' and share showers,toilets etc....so trust me,space isnt a problem.And i also love being outdoors,nature and my own peace and quiet which is why the idea appeals to me so much.

If i get along to the show on the Thames,do people realy not mind you just hopping on there boat's for a look around?

Edited by junior_7178

The narrowboat builders take boats down for you to have a look at.

- There are lines off them sitting on the hard, maybe 20/30 in total, all brandnew, bought there on low-loader.

- And you just walk from one to the other looking at them and talkig to the sales people on the boat.

- Its a great place to get ideas from for sure.

If you talk nicely, alot of people will let you have a look around there boat, and talk to you about why they've done it like that, and what they would change, etc etc.

- But that very much depends on the induvidual, just be polite, get chating, and wait to be invited...

- Your always welcome aboard emilyanne when ever and where ever you see her. Assuming where there.

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

If i get along to the show on the Thames,do people realy not mind you just hopping on there boat's for a look around?

You should ask permission if it is private or really wait to be invited.

The boats actually on show can be boarded but again it is only polite to ask

Edited by bottle