Basingstoke Canal

JonL

Featured Posts

Just travelled out into Surrey and back into London from Waterloo on the train to pick up an Ebay purchase. Never been out that way before, lots of golf courses and expensive cars.

Anyway as I approached Brookwood station about 4 miles before Woking I noticed what looked like a disused waterway locks with both sets of gates open, big ditch with not much water and plenty of weeds. So when I got back I looked it up and found it to be the Basingstoke Canal.

From what I can read its supposed to be in water, didnt look that way.

Is it in water around Brookwood at the moment does anyone know? The train was going fast perhaps I just saw it wrong.

Looked really nice what I saw of it.

Edited by JonL

Just travelled out into Surrey and back into London from Waterloo on the train to pick up an Ebay purchase. Never been out that way before, lots of golf courses and expensive cars.

Anyway as I approached Brookwood station about 4 miles before Woking I noticed what looked like a disused waterway – locks with both sets of gates open, big ditch with not much water and plenty of weeds. So when I got back I looked it up and found it to be the Basingstoke Canal.

From what I can read it’s supposed to be in water, didn’t look that way.

Is it in water around Brookwood at the moment does anyone know? The train was going fast perhaps I just saw it wrong.

Looked really nice what I saw of it.

Hello JonL

The short answer is no.

The Basingstoke Canal is partly open at the moment, but with a bit in the middle closed for maintenance. So the bit you saw from the train at Brookwood may be looking at little "closed". You can get from the River Wey almost to Brookwood (if you book with the Rangers) and you can navigate at the other end, but you can't get all the way along at the moment. There is talk that this is will re-open in 2012. Fingers crossed.

Jo.