Old Wharf on T&M near Willington

Nose Miner

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any history on the old canal wharf/basin that was situated on the Trent & Mersey canal, opposite what is now Mercia Marina in Willington. I'm told by locals that there is an old name for the spot of "Pot Lock", even though there has never been a lock at this location. I'm wondering if this basin had a locked entrance and was maybe used for transhipment of pottery wares. There's plenty of evidence on the ground of pot industry.

The basin is still in evidence, although hasn't been connected to the canal since prior to 1902.

I'd welcome any information as I'd like to put a wikipedia page together for it.

Does anyone have any history on the old canal wharf/basin that was situated on the Trent & Mersey canal, opposite what is now Mercia Marina in Willington. I'm told by locals that there is an old name for the spot of "Pot Lock", even though there has never been a lock at this location. I'm wondering if this basin had a locked entrance and was maybe used for transhipment of pottery wares. There's plenty of evidence on the ground of pot industry.

The basin is still in evidence, although hasn't been connected to the canal since prior to 1902.

I'd welcome any information as I'd like to put a wikipedia page together for it.

Not opposite the marina but on the same side there is evidence of an old wharf. Old stone cappings and the like.

I've noticed it a couple of times whilst out walking the dog.

Opposite is fairly straight non de script tow path....

Hi MJG,

not sure where you mean on the other side of the canal, but the one I'm thinking of could easily be missed. There is no sign of any entrance now, as it was clearly filled in about a hundred years ago, but the basin is still there, behind the hedge. As you cross on the iron footbridge it's to the right, before you get to the burned bit of hedge. I think that house just over the footbridge is called Potlock Farm!

If you are around tomorrow pop over and I'll show you. I'm moored up just outside the marina entrance - the boat with the half-built canoe!

Ian

Hi MJG,

not sure where you mean on the other side of the canal, but the one I'm thinking of could easily be missed. There is no sign of any entrance now, as it was clearly filled in about a hundred years ago, but the basin is still there, behind the hedge. As you cross on the iron footbridge it's to the right, before you get to the burned bit of hedge. I think that house just over the footbridge is called Potlock Farm!

If you are around tomorrow pop over and I'll show you. I'm moored up just outside the marina entrance - the boat with the half-built canoe!

Ian

Currently I'm at home so no chance of being there in the morning... the bit I'm on about will be opposite where you are moored, over the foot bridge and turn sharp left, probably directly opposite the BBQ'd hedge.

Something obviously historic but I guess not the historical bit you are describing.

Currently I'm at home so no chance of being there in the morning... the bit I'm on about will be opposite where you are moored, over the foot bridge and turn sharp left, probably directly opposite the BBQ'd hedge.

Something obviously historic but I guess not the historical bit you are describing.

Oh right, I know where you mean. I'm guessing that will be opposite the basin I am on about, so I shall investigate in the morning.

Cheers

Oh right, I know where you mean. I'm guessing that will be opposite the basin I am on about, so I shall investigate in the morning.

Cheers

It's approx between half way between the marina entrance and the foot bridge...

It's approx between half way between the marina entrance and the foot bridge...

There's what looks like a sticky-out bit on the bank, directly opposite the old basin, marked on the 1880 OS map. It could have been something to do with it.

Pop down to the nearest pub on the canal and look for a twisted old man crying in his beer, that will be the last surviving lockie who’s been told they going to flog his cottage close his pension fund and give his job to a local boat group who will do his job for nothing. I am sure he will furnish all the heritage information you need to know for the price of another pint

Pop down to the nearest pub on the canal and look for a twisted old man crying in his beer, that will be the last surviving lockie who’s been told they going to flog his cottage close his pension fund and give his job to a local boat group who will do his job for nothing. I am sure he will furnish all the heritage information you need to know for the price of another pint

????

[quote

I should have known better than to post a serious request at this time of night...

I should have known better than to post a serious request at this time of night...

A troll through and through...

check out their first post and just disregard this one..

I for one am interested in what you unearth.

If you look at this image capture from Google Earth - which pre-dates the construction of the marina there is an area of what looks like wetlands that could indeed be a former basin that is now partly unfilled.

Willingtonbasin.jpg

Just had a look at the canal bank on the other side and can only see remains of the linear moorings that were there before the Marina was built - all relatively modern!

Indeed I think you are right I hadn't realised there was moorings there - boats moored there show up on Google earth the imagery for GE was taken as I say pre-marina construction days.

Hi again,

the site you have marked was always marsh apparently, but the small lakes were created in digging out ballast for the railway construction.

The basin I'm looking at is at SK304293. I don't know how to post pics, otherwise I would show you. It is still there, in the field, slightly overgrown with hawthorn. I have found remains of the wooden embankment around the edges. Standing on the footbridge, you can just see a slight depression in the towpath where the entrance was filled in, but the recent armco edging plus the fibreway installation has removed most signs. It was exactly half way between the footbridge and the Marina entrance.

I have just figured out how to create a link on google maps - I think! Try looking at this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=212183569872412324282.0004a4df40c3770b8582e&ll=52.860075,-1.54996&spn=0.000719,0.002642&t=h&z=19

Edited by Nose Miner

Excellent bit of research.

If when finding the Google map location, you click on 'link' in the top right of the aerial view, copy it and paste into the text box, the image of the chosen view will appear. Check the preview pane for confirmation prior to send, and you should be there.

The link works fine too, and may save website space, I don't know.

EDIT to add:

I take that back, actually forgotten how I once did it now!!!

Edited by Derek R.