Dogs on boats

johnmck

Featured Posts

It has always been my dream to retire and have my own narrow-boat. The dream has almost reached reality, with our launch scheduled for the 06/06/11. Part of the dream was to enjoy the luxury of more time with our Dog, Ben. Sadly this all ended on the 18/05/11 when we were present when his life ended. Ben was but 10 years. A Welsh Springer spaniel. You could not have wished for a more faithful and loving dog.

John, I,m sorry for your loss, you obviously (like us) feel that the dog is a special part of the family. Dogs are not to everyone's taste and each to their own. But when you are a dog person and have lost a special four legged family member its not easy from that point on. There is a special relationship that grows between a man and the family dog that does not spread to other domesticated animals.

In our household we have cats and dogs, though only the dogs go boating. We have a 3 year old Wire haired fox terrier called Poppy and a re-homed Wire haired fox terrier called Abbie aged 12. Over the years we have had 26 dogs (and counting) most of them re-homed basket case that no one else wanted. Some lasted a few months some a few years. So sometimes taking on an older dog is very a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

When we decided that we were going to buy a narrow boat and spend a lot of time on it. We chose to have a small terrier dog. And if we were to re-home another dog onto the boat, we knew that size would be a consideration. Other than size, and amounts of exercise, I don't think there is much more to consider.

Breeding issues and puppy farms have been covered well by the media. I can't emphasise enough my distaste for some of the puppy farm breeders. But with breeding puppies being seen as a lucrative earner, it will continue until breeding is regulated better and the kennel club removes its head from up it rear end.

Don't leave it too long before opening your heart and home to some little waif and stray. There are plenty out there in need of some TLC. It is always returned back to you in good measure. No matter how bad your day might have been, a wagging tail and friendly bark always does the trick.

Mick -n- Mags, Poppy and Abbie.

I have a theory that virtually all dogs love the canals, even those that don't take to water. I believe it's something to do with the constant stimulation - our three dogs will sit/lie all day watching the world go by at three mph or whatever, and of course you have a dog walk on the doorstep 24/7. Therefore, I don't think it matters very much what sort of dog you go for. There's pros and cons with every breed. The only real practical consideration I would take into account is how easy/difficult it is to get your dog clean/dry. The lack of space relative to a house we have found causes problems on very wet days and when the towpath is very muddy. Mind you we do have three dogs.

Most dog owners do tend to stick with breeds/types they are used to, and if you love springers why not stick with them? A few years ago we came across a couple with two great danes on board and they were clearly the only dog for them, despite the obvious practical problems and the fact that they rarely make it into double figures.

If you want a dog made for the canals, I recommend a "skipperkee", I've probably spelled it wrong, which is a small dog of dutch origin, bred as a watchdog for barges. I know an old couple who have one, and it is amazing to see this little fella scampering around like a squirrel - great character, fearless, and they are used to the sound of heavy machinery as well.

On your initial point, I have strong views myself on the relationship of the KC with breed longevity. My mother had a cavalier king charles spaniel who suffered terribly and died prematurely because of what we now know to be irresponsible breeding practices pretty much brought about by so called KC breed standards. My personal fondness for greyhounds and lurchers is partly to do with the fact that they haven't been been genetically distorted very much. The down side is they wouldn't get very far in a dog version of brain of britain...

i feel for you, i lost my lab/staffie cross 12 march 2009, he lived for 15 years 12 of them with me, he had an accident at 4 years old he was hit by a car and the vet didnt think he would last the night. but he did and 2 opperations and 2 weeks stay in the vets he came home again, and lived a very heathly life until he was 14 he had a cancer in his rear leg and was given 3 months to live, well a year later and it was finanly time for your last goodbye.

i wasnt looking for a dog but a friend's mother had an english bull terrier and was going to give him up as she couldnt walk him enough as she has a heart condition, so 2 weeks later tig came to stay on a months trail, the reason i took him was that he has epilespy, skin conditions and does not produce tears in his right eye so he needs lots of tlc, and the owner was going to place him in a rescue center i couldnt bear the thought of him being in there and no one taking him home.

so 2 years later he's still with me and i wouldnt give him up for the world, he is the best dog ive ever had.

not so good on the boat as he can't swim, and have to lift him on and off, but thats just the way it is.

he still loves to come on the boat and is often sun bathing on the front

Edited by fee666