12v Fridge question

Daftmare

Featured Posts

Hi all, can I ask a question?

We have a 1 starter + 3 leisure battery set up. These are charged up by a built-in battery charger which charges them whilst we have the shoreline hooked up (which is not all the time).

My question is, if we take the boat out (to Sainsburys) for a run (only half an hour) stock up the 12v fridge with food and run back to the mooring (another half an hour), and then leave the fridge running over night - will the batteries cope if the shoreline is still charging them overnight and through the next day? We would not be running the engine again until the following evening.

Hope this question makes sense.

I am hoping that if it is just for the one day and night, and then we are off for a week/ten days charging the batteries up properly, then the batteries will be Ok, but not sure.....

:blush:

Surely, when the engine is running, that charges to batteries also? You're not relying purely on shoreline for charging?

Hi Gibbo

I would be relying on shoreline only for charging the batteries just whilst moored overnight and all next day......until we take off for our trip the following evening. The engine would be charging the batteries only during the hour I am cruising to Sainsburys and back.

The more I think about it, I am sure the batteries can cope with this if they been kept charged up properly, but just wanted to make sure.

Jo.

I can't see the problem.

You are probably right - perhaps I am seeing a problem when there isn't one. :blush:

If you are on shoreline and the batteries are on charge, the batteries are not running the fridge the charger/shoreline is.

The supply for the fridge will go through the batteries but will not discharge them.

Proviso the charger has to be big enough but even a very small one would cope.

If you are on shoreline and the batteries are on charge, the batteries are not running the fridge the charger/shoreline is.

The supply for the fridge will go through the batteries but will not discharge them.

Proviso the charger has to be big enough but even a very small one would cope.

Thank you very much - this is good to know.

Jo.