Wide Beam Fit Out Advice For Newbie

alaskanuk

Featured Posts

Hi All

We're newbies, doing our "homework" stage. We have decided on a Wide Beam as a narrow boat would be to claustophobic for my disabled partner and myself plus three dogs and two cats.

We have makes of boat in mind, and are looking at sailaway pluses/additions/extras. As a fully fitted wide beam is beyond our price tag.

I am OK doing most of the fit out myself as regards the general carpentry side, fitting kitchen, bedroom, flooring etc (ie, the easier bits).

But, where I do struggle is electrics/plumping (gas/water). So I may require for a fit out of the bathroom as well. One company want £12,000 - £15,000 to fit bathroom only. :(

The boat we choose will have the wire runs in, both 240 & 12V, and the water pipes will be installed as will the diesel central heating/calorifier/Inverter etc etc.

Are there people around boatyards who would be willing to do this type of work (obviously to BSS & RCD standards).

Any advice or suggestions please.

Dave & Dawn

Hi All

We're newbies, doing our "homework" stage. We have decided on a Wide Beam as a narrow boat would be to claustophobic for my disabled partner and myself plus three dogs and two cats.

We have makes of boat in mind, and are looking at sailaway pluses/additions/extras. As a fully fitted wide beam is beyond our price tag.

I am OK doing most of the fit out myself as regards the general carpentry side, fitting kitchen, bedroom, flooring etc (ie, the easier bits).

But, where I do struggle is electrics/plumping (gas/water). So I may require for a fit out of the bathroom as well. One company want £12,000 - £15,000 to fit bathroom only. B)

The boat we choose will have the wire runs in, both 240 & 12V, and the water pipes will be installed as will the diesel central heating/calorifier/Inverter etc etc.

Are there people around boatyards who would be willing to do this type of work (obviously to BSS & RCD standards).

Any advice or suggestions please.

Dave & Dawn

Our latest idea and no doubt others will copy :( is to supply DIY boats to a stage where we can CIN number and CE mark the boat to be RCD compliant.

Items that do not fall under the scope of the RCD can be completed by the customer, a typical boat of this nature would be taken to a slightly more advanced stage than a traditional line out to allow for full electrical and gas installation but galley, bathroom and bedroom would be left to the owner to complete and furnish.

Of course we will complete any of the remaining work the customer does not feel comfortable with.

Seems like a good idea to me (Sold 3 to be done this way so far!) if you don't want to get involved with the RCD and want a production boat with a true manufacturers CIN rather than a self build RYA one.

Our latest idea and no doubt others will copy :( is to supply DIY boats to a stage where we can CIN number and CE mark the boat to be RCD compliant.

The Boat Yard i'm looking at will also do this.

Thanks for your offer of selling me a boat. But does not answer my question.

Edited to add, the fit out must be down south.

Dave

Edited by alaskanuk

I don't see that you would have any problem finding a fitter to do the work you don't feel confident doing. It would also be worth considering approaching other builders most will quite happily complete work on other builders hulls or part fit outs but it would be wise to carefully clarify the point at which they would like to commence their work to avoid paying for the final fitters to undo work already completed.

It goes without saying that you should always view a sample of anybodys work before commisioning them to carry out work for you.

Just another thought obviously I don't know the details of your partners disability but certain disabilitys would entitle you to VAT relief in some circumstances on your new boat, it might be worth a chat with your chosen builder.

Edited by Gary Peacock

SORRY IN ADVANCE IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE AN ADVERT. We have found that lots of people want to fit out their own boats but don't have ALL the skills neccessary, and we have seen a big increase in Sailaway Lined boats being ordered with extra work (eg, full electrics or plumbing or heating etc). So much that we now supply boats with just the kitchen and/or bathroom fitted, so that people can stay on or use the boat whilst they finish it off themselves.