Replacing a window

Featured Posts

I have a 3 year old boat and last October some defective specimens levered the front cabin window, broke the glass and ruined the frame. 3 times they came into the cabin, and each time the alarm went off and I received a text message (which I read when I woke up - 3 messages ending at 3am!) .... sometimes you just know it for real. As I walked down the path I could see the curtain flapping outside the boat. 4 other boats got some attention, but mine was the most painful.

I am insured but I have a £300 excess so not a route to explore. I phoned up and obtained the window supplier's details. 3 years down the line and I am informed that the process of anodising is no longer done due to excessive CFC production hence sadly a matching window cannot be found.

I end up buying a replacement window from the original boat builder. It's only agreeable attributes are it's the same size and it's brass anodised, after that things diverge. It has a black neoprene strip that covers surface fixing screws, oh, and it has a slider ...... none of the original windows matches - never mind, it was only fifty quid :rolleyes:

I boarded up the window till I had time to work on it. I have spent absolutely ages puzzling over how to remove the existing window frame when it is fixed by screws from the inside necessitating removal of plywood panelling and oak trim. Enough procrastinating ... today I went for it! (and it was remarkably easy lol)

I drilled through the internal panelling with a 10mm drill to expose the screws. I removed the screws and went outside and carefully levered the window out of the steel opening. I scraped off the remains of the mastic seal and cleaned up ready for insertion of the new window. Ideally, I would like to paint the area first but the weather awful, the timing not right, and I'm just pleased to remove the broken frame and get something in that is watertight!

I was advised that I needed some "weedhatch rubber" to seal the new window to the steel hull. I didn't have any, and it was past closing time. I was going to use a flexible silicon seal, but was against using that on the grounds that I wouldn't be able to paint over it, and I thought it might corrode the metal, and additionally I wanted to take the window off later in warmer weather ...... so, I went off to my local Focus and bought a roll of rubber draft proofer sufficient for 2 doors! It p-shaped seal with peel off adhesive backing. This allowed me to stick it to the perimeter of the window opening AND to the perimeter of the window frame.

I had some ancient stainless self tappers in my collection, just perfect for the job - slotted, not cross-head - I drilled 16 holes, screwed the frame in place (making sure I didn't warp it in the process) and finally I covered the screws with the neoprene cover. Later, come warm weather and inclination, I shall remove window and paint surrounding area, affix weedhatch rubber .......... etc

I tidied up, stepped back and tried to feel pleased. All in all, £60 for materials, 4 hours work and at last secure! I just have to replace/rectify the damaged internal panelling, and I try not to see the horrendous scratch marks made in the paintwork during the process of breaking and entering.

To think they did this just to grab a bottle of wine and a can of beer! :banghead:

To think they did this just to grab a bottle of wine and a can of beer! :banghead:

Many years ago we acquired a splintered rear door so that they could drink a bottle of wine, smash 6 eggs onto the walls, and let off two dry powder fire extinguishers.

Tony

snipped

I had some ancient stainless self tappers in my collection, just perfect for the job - slotted, not cross-head - I drilled 16 holes, screwed the frame in place (making sure I didn't warp it in the process) and finally I covered the screws with the neoprene cover. Later, come warm weather and inclination, I shall remove window and paint surrounding area, affix weedhatch rubber .......... etc

I tidied up, stepped back and tried to feel pleased. All in all, £60 for materials, 4 hours work and at last secure! I just have to replace/rectify the damaged internal panelling, and I try not to see the horrendous scratch marks made in the paintwork during the process of breaking and entering.

A tip from my days in the bus/coach building industry some years ago. Probably too late for you now but: Leave the neoprene strip too long and leave the ends hanging out of the bottom of the groove on either side. Let it settle for as long as you can tolerate it, but at least a week, before finishing off to length and tucking the ends in. Reason? The fitting of the strip stretches it slightly and it contracts after a while leaving a gap where the join is. You can often see this effect on boat windows with this concealing strip, possibly due to aging and the effects of weathering even when they are years old. I'm not sure whether it is a very late effect from the fitting or shrinkage due to UV exposure or something like that.

Roger

Glad to see you have been able to get your new window in.I was interested to see the comment about anodising, does anyone know if this has generally ceased or is it perhaps just this window manufacturer ? If general anyone faced with window replacement could have matching problems as well.

The tape you need seal the window is not weed hatch tape (usually too big) but purpose made tape about 15mmX4mm with a low tack adhesive on one side which allows it to be put in place on the window and repositioned/removed as required.It's available from some chandlers ,failing that the window manufacturers. I've used this tape for years on windows,mushroom vents, water fillers, deck fittings etc , it's really useful stuff , mess free and reliable.

Albion's point regarding the insert is well made, not only can this shrink and look unsightly, it allows moisture to collect behind it if there are gaps.It seems to me that the plastic type shrinks more than the rubber type but you may not have much choice in what fits your particular windows.

Good luck with the rest of the repairs

Bob

Glad to see you have been able to get your new window in.I was interested to see the comment about anodising, does anyone know if this has generally ceased or is it perhaps just this window manufacturer ? If general anyone faced with window replacement could have matching problems as well.

The tape you need seal the window is not weed hatch tape (usually too big) but purpose made tape about 15mmX4mm with a low tack adhesive on one side which allows it to be put in place on the window and repositioned/removed as required.It's available from some chandlers ,failing that the window manufacturers. I've used this tape for years on windows,mushroom vents, water fillers, deck fittings etc , it's really useful stuff , mess free and reliable.

Albion's point regarding the insert is well made, not only can this shrink and look unsightly, it allows moisture to collect behind it if there are gaps.It seems to me that the plastic type shrinks more than the rubber type but you may not have much choice in what fits your particular windows.

Good luck with the rest of the repairs

Bob

Thanks for the replies :)

I appreciate the comment re the shrinking back of the neoprene seal .... luckilly I have sufficient additional seal to take advantage of the advice (when I enter the next stage )

As for the weedhatch seal, I was wondering if I could use the mastic one gets with sink tops - it seems to me that the mastic used to seal a stainless steel sink is the same stuff! Anyway, I'm going to enquire at the local chandlers and the local plumbers, they bein approx 100yds apart ..... see which works out cheapest :)

When they broke in, it was in pursuit of alcohol. I think the alarm belting away must have detracted them from the other items. The doors and side hatch were/are all locked and the only means of entry/exit was via the smashed window. They didn't feel the need to turn on any lights so they missed the freebies - cheque book and money on table; brand new flat screen TV + dvd player + freesat; not to mention loads of dvds (maybe our selection of no interest :) ) .... we had just returned the day before from a month away and being complacent, I had left things in place - things have changed a bit. I have now installed a mesh to cover the inside of the windows, this to act as a deterrent. They can of course get in but there aint no alcohol ............

One ironic aside. Shortly after this, I shut the steel door on the cruiser deck, shut home the padlock and blinked! I had left the keys inside the boat. A spare set at home, but I needed to get back in. Hmmmmm, it seemed the only way in was to climb in through the smashed window ..... I guess it ok to smile B)

One ironic aside. Shortly after this, I shut the steel door on the cruiser deck, shut home the padlock and blinked! I had left the keys inside the boat.

... which is why I use a combination padlock .... B)

... which is why I use a combination padlock .... B)

I sort of held back from replying to this, but upon reading out the comments to wife, we both commented, "But I/You never remember the blasted combinations!!!!"

I did put a combination padlock on the lid to the gas hatch, sadly I forgot the number. I had remembered to write it on one of the vertical timbers to the right of an adjacent window but time had passed and the timbers were now snugly covered over with oak plywood! :wacko: