Taking a risk

IanF

Featured Posts

We're planning to move into a NB but I've got steady work in east London, so need a local mooring. We've checked out all the marinas but the response is always the same - no space, no waiting list, no chance.

I wonder if Marina's treat people differently if you actually turn up on a living boat? I'm thinking we might just take a risk, move onto the water and spend a bit of time moving around until we find a secure mooring. Is this how other people have done it?

Any tips v welcome.

Ian F.

We're planning to move into a NB but I've got steady work in east London, so need a local mooring. We've checked out all the marinas but the response is always the same - no space, no waiting list, no chance.

I wonder if Marina's treat people differently if you actually turn up on a living boat? I'm thinking we might just take a risk, move onto the water and spend a bit of time moving around until we find a secure mooring. Is this how other people have done it?

Any tips v welcome.

Ian F.

I would suggest you take a walk and talk to boaters in the area, and see what the score is. And where they moor!

I had the same problem, I spent ages trying to find a mooring in east London, with no luck. I ended up just cycling along the canals in London until I found a residential mooring in West London. If you can't find anything, I recommend you look at buying a boat that is already on a mooring. You'll spend up to 15 grand more than the boat is worth, but you'll have a mooring. Just cruising up to a marina with a boat won't make a difference. If you would be interested in moving west, there will be 2 boats for sale on our moorings for a reasonable price very soon. PM me if you want more details.

Personally I typed "mooring uk" into a search engine, then phoned every number within a widening radius of where I needed to be.The only space was on what's probably the most expensive mooring around and there was a lot of "waiting list, no chance" but I sorted it eventually.

Thanks for these tips. As suggested, I've already googled and contacted BW and rung around, but I get the feeling you've just got to be in the right place at the right time when something becomes available. Or, commit to spending a lot more money on a boat that already has a permanent mooring. (Our plan was to bring a boat down from up north - but being realistic, that plan might need to be adjusted).

Has anyone spent time living without a permanent mooring while working in London? Any experiences, comments or tips, apart from - "are you insane, don't do it!" :-)

Thanks

Ian

Thanks for these tips. As suggested, I've already googled and contacted BW and rung around, but I get the feeling you've just got to be in the right place at the right time when something becomes available. Or, commit to spending a lot more money on a boat that already has a permanent mooring. (Our plan was to bring a boat down from up north - but being realistic, that plan might need to be adjusted).

Has anyone spent time living without a permanent mooring while working in London? Any experiences, comments or tips, apart from - "are you insane, don't do it!" :-)

Thanks

Ian

It might pay to consider something other than a narrowboat, as that will open your choices up a bit - there are moorings on the Thames itself. Take a stroll down to Hammersmith bridge and talk to the livaboards there.

Also, limehouse basin has livaboards - not officially, of course. One of the lockeepers lives there on his narrowboat.