What are must-sees and have-to-stops on the Trent & Mersey canal?

hotpotato6

Featured Posts

Figured after learning so much from my other post and reading different links on this site we'd again pick experienced brains!

All we know at this point is we leave Barton Turns on a Friday late afternoon and have to be back there the next Friday by 9:30am. What route would you suggest (remember, we're very new and very green narrow boaters :rolleyes: ) .... where are places we should stop and/or spend night, pubs we shouldn't miss -- etc. etc.

Going out today to get some rain gear, also known as our insurance policy :P

Ruth

Figured after learning so much from my other post and reading different links on this site we'd again pick experienced brains!

All we know at this point is we leave Barton Turns on a Friday late afternoon and have to be back there the next Friday by 9:30am. What route would you suggest (remember, we're very new and very green narrow boaters :rolleyes: ) .... where are places we should stop and/or spend night, pubs we shouldn't miss -- etc. etc.

Going out today to get some rain gear, also known as our insurance policy :P

Ruth

I would suggest 2 routes, 1. head towards Fradley Junction, then turn left down the Coventry and head for

Fazeley Junc and then HawkesburyJunc.

or 2. Go strait ahead at Fradley and head for Great Haywood and Stone.

As for Pubs I would recommend the "George & Dragon" at Alrewas,

I would suggest 2 routes, 1. head towards Fradley Junction, then turn left down the Coventry and head for

Fazeley Junc and then HawkesburyJunc.

or 2. Go strait ahead at Fradley and head for Great Haywood and Stone.

As for Pubs I would recommend the "George & Dragon" at Alrewas,

Our first time out from there. on Orphilia our time share boat.

We went through the first lock(no10) where they show you how to steer and do the locks, you will be heading towards Burton on Trent. The first turning point is by the Brewery well worth a visit, and half way from Barton to Burton is a canal side Pub which is all Italian, the food is out of this world all home cooked the puddings are to die for. Overnight moorings and a park to wonder around.

We turned at the Brewery and headed for Stone, the Locks are all very easy on that part gets you into the swing of things for the rest of the Trent and Mersey, we should have stopped at Fradley the next night but went on to Rugley, and moored overnight there, did some shopping at the big super store before going on. there is a great pub at Western big steaks and good vegie menus. we got as far as Stoke that time and on the way back did a tour of the Wedgewood Factory that is a must! again overnight moorings and a good pub.

When we go out we pick a route and after three days look for a turning point and plan to turn at midday, (3 and a half days)this allows us plenty of time to get back the night before and moor up at the canal side of the marina. some good pubs in the area or you can cook up all the left overs and drink all the booze before heading home.

The combination of the rural and built up areas are great, and you will see so much wildlife you will think you are in a zoo or wildlife park.

Over three years we have managed the Shroppie to Gnosly and got as far Loughbough. This year we hope to do the Coventry Canel and see the areas I grew up in before we went south and overseas, and do the Atherstone Flight.

The Pubs are all true old English pubs and the food is good. I cant fault any of them. We will be calling at the George and Dragon this year.

AnnC

Thanks to you both - your suggestions are indeed helpful. It's great to get recommendations from people who know the area.

As mentioned, we will be looking for the Jolly Roger at the marina! We have been notified that our boat for the week will be Marcus.

Ann, odds are good that we will duplicate the first route you described. I like the part about the first locks being "easy" - that makes for a good learning experience. In the one week there was enough time to get to the Stoke-on-Trent pottery area & take a tour? Without the actual canal maps haven't been able to figure out lock locations and distances - but will have access to them on the boat.

Was successful in getting rain gear today - I'll be a lovely shade of bright blue if the weather requires my outfit! We've planned out the 5 days that we will have in Wales after the week on Marcus - now it's working on a packing list, knowing it's important to think minimal and functional -- and not overpack.

Counting the days (30!) until the canal, the scenery, the wildlife and a good pub meal with a pint of Guinness!

Ruth

Thanks to you both - your suggestions are indeed helpful. It's great to get recommendations from people who know the area.

As mentioned, we will be looking for the Jolly Roger at the marina! We have been notified that our boat for the week will be Marcus.

Ann, odds are good that we will duplicate the first route you described. I like the part about the first locks being "easy" - that makes for a good learning experience. In the one week there was enough time to get to the Stoke-on-Trent pottery area & take a tour? Without the actual canal maps haven't been able to figure out lock locations and distances - but will have access to them on the boat.

Was successful in getting rain gear today - I'll be a lovely shade of bright blue if the weather requires my outfit! We've planned out the 5 days that we will have in Wales after the week on Marcus - now it's working on a packing list, knowing it's important to think minimal and functional -- and not overpack.

Counting the days (30!) until the canal, the scenery, the wildlife and a good pub meal with a pint of Guinness!

Ruth

Yikes....apologies for clicking twice :rolleyes:

I don't know about tours of the Potteries, but before you reach Stoke on Trent you must stop at Barlaston and visit the Wedgwood factory.

Allan

We were going to stop at Wedgewood after the narrow boat week on our way to Chester & Wales, but since it's right by the canal, if our timing works well, we could see it via the boat instead of car.

JollyRoger - what a great link! Thanks for steering us (good pun?! :( ) to it - lots of detailed and helpful information. Printed out a copy of the Boaters' Guide - beta version.

Question: All the moorings we see mentioned along the canal - are there fees, and if so, about how much would they be for overnight stays? Do most people moor at visitor moorings - is it proper or possible to just find a good spot along the route and pull over and moor for the night?

Thanks again, one and all -

Ruth

Question: All the moorings we see mentioned along the canal - are there fees, and if so, about how much would they be for overnight stays? Do most people moor at visitor moorings - is it proper or possible to just find a good spot along the route and pull over and moor for the night?

They're all free - some are restricted to a maximum stay of 24 or 48 hours, but I reckon that won't affect you. But for me it's one of the greatest joys of the canals that if you find any other spot that you like you can just pull over and stop there (on the towpath side that is, the offside is usually private).

.... where are places we should stop and/or spend night, pubs we shouldn't miss -- etc.

Ruth

Hi Ruth

Rugeley (Bridge 66) is a good place to shop, big Morrisons, nice people.

Immediately before bridge 70 (Wolseley Bridge) is a good o'night mooring. There is a big pub 200yds along the road, visible from the bridge, but we've never been in it.

Great Heywood, Fox & Hounds, not an 'old fashioned' pub, but good food and good ale and warm & comfortable.

If you decide to cook on-board, turn left at Great Heywood, onto the Staffs & Worcs, half-mile along is Tixall Wide. Well known beauty spot, nice and quiet and a great place to wake up in the morning. It's plenty wide enough to turn in the morning and go back to the Trent.

If you're new, dont let go of your windlass. Never put it down. Keep it in your hand at all times while at a lock. You lose it, drop it in the lock or forget it and leave it behind - you're dead in the water!

ps: If you're spending a week in Wales, you'll need the waterproofs - it always rains in Wales! :(

Enjoy your holiday.

Peter

Edited by Guest

Allan - It's good to know our nights will be "free"! Have enjoyed your website - you have had some great sounding adventures.

Peter - Thanks for the information - I'm compiling all the helpful comments and suggestions to take along with us.

Kind of embarrassed to ask - but what does a windlass look like - it sounds as if it's like a key? Is it something that can be put on a float type thing so if dropped it won't sink - or it too big and heavy for something like that? I'd hate to be dead in the water and require a funeral at sea :(

Thanks -

Ruth

Allan - It's good to know our nights will be "free"! Have enjoyed your website - you have had some great sounding adventures.

Peter - Thanks for the information - I'm compiling all the helpful comments and suggestions to take along with us.

Kind of embarrassed to ask - but what does a windlass look like - it sounds as if it's like a key? Is it something that can be put on a float type thing so if dropped it won't sink - or it too big and heavy for something like that? I'd hate to be dead in the water and require a funeral at sea :(

Thanks -

Ruth

Hi Ruth

840129.jpg this is one type they are all similar.

They are used to raise/lower the paddles at locks and also to raise/lower lift bridges.

They are sometimes refered to as 'lock keys'

Edited by bottle

Hi Ruth.

In advance of your holiday why don't you have a run out by car to a busy lock flight, few people are more than an hour away from a busy place, spend half a day watching the boats going through the locks and have a chat to the owners or hires.

Most people will talk your socks off if you express an interest in their boat or the canals in general, they will let you helps with the locks and by the time of your trip you will already be an expert. Can't agree about the Wedgewood factory though I usually make a beeline for such places but I found this one to be very poor, almost into the realms of a rip-off but thats just my opinion.

If you put some information (no matter how general) about yourself in the 'Personal Profile' we could give you some ideas for local places where you could go and watch the boats.

Enjoy your holiday anyway.

Thanks for the photo of a windlass Guinness drinker :(

John - We don't live local to any locks, more local to the skyscrapers and streets of NYC! We have seen narrow boats on the canals in past trips to the UK, my husband even assisted opening one, but that was a few years ago. We will be traveling from Heathrow to Derby the day before we board the narrow boat so we hope to be able to stop and observe some lock action during the drive.

Thanks, and am appreciative of all the replies -- really enjoying reading other threads on this site and the links they lead to.

Hi Hotpotato

Have a practise with these (there are several other locking games on the web) but there are variations of lock mechanisms about.

http://www.wow4water.net/games.asp?all=y

http://www.wow4water.net/playsamplegame2.asp?game_id=14

I was very worried about locks on my first outing but I soon got the hang of it. Remember - TAKE IT SLOWLY and don't be afraid to ask. You should have a couple of windlass's on board. I tuck mine into my belt while not using it at locks.

They cost about £10 -20 (for a swanky lightweight one) at chandlers along the way if you want a nice souvenir or if you do loose one. (Mine hangs over my bed now - but then I'm a bit of a canal saddo)

Have a great holiday!

Chrissie

. . . we don't live local to any locks, more local to the skyscrapers and streets of NYC! We have seen narrow boats on the canals in past trips to the UK, my husband even assisted opening one, but that was a few years ago. We will be traveling from Heathrow to Derby the day before we board the narrow boat so we hope to be able to stop and observe some lock action during the drive.

Hey Hotpotato (?!)

Have a read of this, it's ours!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1543

Then read the posts that were added to it by other forum members, some of whom had/have been boating quite some time - and realise that you will be in good company. Enjoy the trip.

Hope you will write up the main points in the "Cruise Diaries" board after your holiday; if you do, let us know!

BTW - what on earth is an "on-line spades team" ??

Peter

JOHN: The only NY canals we know of are those upstate from us -- most quite a few hours ride each way. But then again there might be some closer we are totally unaware of. Copied following from a website I found....the closest to us would be the "capital (Albany)-Saratoga area about 3-4 hours away, but not sure what the canal setup there is.

'New York's Canal System

The 524 mile New York State Canal System includes the Erie, Champlain, Oswego, and the Cayuga-Seneca canals. The canal system connects hundreds of miles of lakes and rivers across New York State, linking the Great Lakes with the Hudson River and five water ways in Canada.

Traveling through five of the states vacation regions, Niagara Frontier, Finger Lakes, Central Leather Stocking, Thousand Islands-Seaway and Capital-Saratoga vacation opportunities along the New York State Canal System are endless. The canal system winds its way through scores of picturesque towns and cities that grew or came into existence along its banks. Thousands of parks, picinic areas, restaurants, inns, museums and historic sites line the canals' banks. Boat, bike, hike, stroll or just relax and enjoy a cruise aboard the many tour boats operating along the canal.'

PETER: Simply wonderful description of your trip! We will most likely be passing through some of the areas you did - will copy your diary and bring it with us. All along I've been thinking "hope it doesn't rain too much" ... now got to add "may the winds not be difficult"! We definitely plan to keep a journal of our adventure - and will certainly post afterwards.

OK - spades, the card game - there are sites on the internet for people to play the game of spades with other people (also chess, backgammon, hearts, bridge, etc.), and there are sites that offer team play. I've been playing for almost 4 years now with basically the same people - and we even had a gathering in Texas last year with many attending. People from all over the world play, our team is just one of over seventy or so on the site. Our team has a lady from Australia, and it's great to meet people from all over the world - quite a few from the UK too.

CHRISSIE: Thanks for the links - the lock one makes you realize how logical the operation of a lock is -- just got to keep focused on each action, and as you said "take it slowly". Frog one was cute, albeit frustrating, but did well with the rope throwing :(.

Happy travels to you all & looking forward to meeting many in the canal community!

Hi Ruth

840129.jpg this is one type they are all similar.

They are used to raise/lower the paddles at locks and also to raise/lower lift bridges.

They are sometimes refered to as 'lock keys'

Ruth,

A picture of just a windlass, (or "lock key"), mightr not give too much idea of the size of the thing.

This link shows one in use on a ground paddle...

Link to gallery picture of windlass in use...

Sorry for poor quality.

It was only taken today on a mobile phone, and it appears one of our kids have changed the setting to a very low resoluytion image.

Gives an idea though.

Alan