Saul to Lechlade Centennial Cruise 2011

Chrissie-B

Featured Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Smelly is right but what he did not say.

Saul to Sharpness about 4hrs but the bit from Sharpness to Bristol could take days or weeks, it is totally dependant on the weather and the pilots say.

You are taking a pilot?

If you are going on the official trip the Trust will give you all the info.

Good luck

When we went the tide at Sharpness was mid-day, we were asked to be in the docks for 1030 (they have to swing the bridge to let you in and they like to have plenty of time in hand). After locking down we had a short wait for the pilot then we set off a little before slack water.

The run to Portishead took us just over 3 hours because the weather turned against us, which meant we only just managed to slide across the mud into the lock on a falling tide. So if you haven't made it Portishead in that time, you're destined to sit it out on the mud until the next tide.

We waited a whole day in Portishead (otherwise it would have been a night trip up the Avon) which cost us one night's mooring fees - but if you go in on one tide and leave on the next (sometimes just possible in the summer if the times are right) then you don't have to pay.

I can't remember how long it took to cross the bay and the go up the Avon (our log-book is on the boat) but even with the engine at tickover it seemed to take no time at all with a good tide behind us.

Our trip report is here.

Cheers everyone, we are trying to plan out the route from Saul to Lechlade for the Centennial Cruise in August so far 5 boats are doing the northern route and 5 are doing the southern route. Check out www.saultolechlade100.co.uk

We do need more people involved to organise it!!!

Is anyone interested???

Cheers everyone, we are trying to plan out the route from Saul to Lechlade for the Centennial Cruise in August so far 5 boats are doing the northern route and 5 are doing the southern route. Check out www.saultolechlade100.co.uk

We do need more people involved to organise it!!!

Is anyone interested???

I wish I'd known about this earlier - would have loved to have taken part but we are planning to get some maintenance done this year.

Last time we did the trip from Saul to Bristol, we moored overnight at Sharpness, made Portishead in just over two hours, then we moored in Portishead Marina for just over 24 hours before making the two hour trip to Bristol Harbour. Portishead Marina with a very handy Waitrose Supermarket proved to be perfect for victualling.

I wish I'd known about this earlier - would have loved to have taken part but we are planning to get some maintenance done this year.

Last time we did the trip from Saul to Bristol, we moored overnight at Sharpness, made Portishead in just over two hours, then we moored in Portishead Marina for just over 24 hours before making the two hour trip to Bristol Harbour. Portishead Marina with a very handy Waitrose Supermarket proved to be perfect for victualling.

Graham,

We will be cruising through Cropredy on Saturday, will you be around???