Don’t spoil scenic spot

Josher

Featured Posts

The glass protection to the top of the wall on Canal Street in Manchester looks awful ... I wish the campaign here every success ...

Sunday 2 January 2011

Don’t spoil scenic spot

Snapshot2011-01-0215-29-52.jpg

The Black Pit Aqueduct, Hebden Bridge

Published on Sun Jan 02 11:47:22 GMT 2011 Hebden Bridge Times

A LOCAL historian has started a campaign against proposed engineering work which she feels will spoil the aesthetic appeal of one of Hebden Bridge’s famous landmarks. Plans to install a new railing on the parapet wall of the Black Pit Aqueduct over the River Calder have been submitted by Calderdale Council’s engineering services department to provide protection for cyclists from the six metre drop to the river below. The council also plans to resurface the towpath with a hard-wearing material suitable for use by pedestrians and cyclists to enable it to be incorporated into the Pennine Cycleway.

Diana Monahan, a member of Hebden Bridge Local History Society, believes the railing, which would be up to 50cm above the parapet, would diminish the visual beauty of the aqueduct and also make it difficult for boaters to use the canal safely. She said: “Whilst I support the resurfacing of the towpath in sympathetic materials, I am very concerned about the proposed associated works which involve installing a galvanised mild steel rail onto the listed Black Pit Aqueduct. “The parapet is parallel to the direction of travel of the cyclist so any forces involved in a collision would be unlikely to send them over the edge. If they are going so fast that they could fly over the parapet, I would rather cyclists did not use the towpath.” She said there was no record of anybody ever falling over the parapet in the aqueduct’s 203-year history. “The parapet is very wide and I would estimate that you would have to be over eight feet tall to fall over it,” she said. “A railing would also prevent people from safely leaning over to look at the carved head. “It is the thin end of the wedge trying to make a canal towpath fit specifications for cyclists. Before long, there would be fencing and railings at locks, bridge holes etc, making it difficult for boaters to use the canal safely. “Perhaps if a cyclist were to perceive of a risk, he or she may slow down.” She suggested a better solution to the council’s safety concerns would be to install signs encouraging cyclists to dismount. She would prefer to see money spent on removing the trees growing in the aqueduct which could cause structural damage.

In the design and access statement which accompanies the application, environmental projects officer Anne Holdsworth said: “A risk assessment has been carried out and whilst the likelihood of a cyclist crashing at the right angle and sufficient speed to go over the wall at this particular point is low, the severity of the incident is very high, with a risk of death or permanent disability.” She said the railing would have a minor impact on the appearance of the aqueduct and will not obstruct views from it.

The glass protection to the top of the wall on Canal Street in Manchester looks awful ... I wish the campaign here every success ...

Sunday 2 January 2011

Don’t spoil scenic spot

Snapshot2011-01-0215-29-52.jpg

The Black Pit Aqueduct, Hebden Bridge

Published on Sun Jan 02 11:47:22 GMT 2011 Hebden Bridge Times

A LOCAL historian has started a campaign against proposed engineering work which she feels will spoil the aesthetic appeal of one of Hebden Bridge’s famous landmarks. Plans to install a new railing on the parapet wall of the Black Pit Aqueduct over the River Calder have been submitted by Calderdale Council’s engineering services department to provide protection for cyclists from the six metre drop to the river below. The council also plans to resurface the towpath with a hard-wearing material suitable for use by pedestrians and cyclists to enable it to be incorporated into the Pennine Cycleway.

Diana Monahan, a member of Hebden Bridge Local History Society, believes the railing, which would be up to 50cm above the parapet, would diminish the visual beauty of the aqueduct and also make it difficult for boaters to use the canal safely. She said: “Whilst I support the resurfacing of the towpath in sympathetic materials, I am very concerned about the proposed associated works which involve installing a galvanised mild steel rail onto the listed Black Pit Aqueduct. “The parapet is parallel to the direction of travel of the cyclist so any forces involved in a collision would be unlikely to send them over the edge. If they are going so fast that they could fly over the parapet, I would rather cyclists did not use the towpath.” She said there was no record of anybody ever falling over the parapet in the aqueduct’s 203-year history. “The parapet is very wide and I would estimate that you would have to be over eight feet tall to fall over it,” she said. “A railing would also prevent people from safely leaning over to look at the carved head. “It is the thin end of the wedge trying to make a canal towpath fit specifications for cyclists. Before long, there would be fencing and railings at locks, bridge holes etc, making it difficult for boaters to use the canal safely. “Perhaps if a cyclist were to perceive of a risk, he or she may slow down.” She suggested a better solution to the council’s safety concerns would be to install signs encouraging cyclists to dismount. She would prefer to see money spent on removing the trees growing in the aqueduct which could cause structural damage.

In the design and access statement which accompanies the application, environmental projects officer Anne Holdsworth said: “A risk assessment has been carried out and whilst the likelihood of a cyclist crashing at the right angle and sufficient speed to go over the wall at this particular point is low, the severity of the incident is very high, with a risk of death or permanent disability.” She said the railing would have a minor impact on the appearance of the aqueduct and will not obstruct views from it.

Blinking health and safety!!! Yes it Won't be long before they put up protection railings around locks will it ?

Edited by boatyboy

I've always thought it won't be long until some H&S so called expert suggests a rail along the waters edge to prevent people falling into the canal.

Can still remember reading somewhere but can't remember where or whoo it was.

But this person was doing a risk assesment for a canal event somewhere with a H&S officer.

When told that thehorse drawn trip boat would go up this section of canal the H&S official stated I don't think these towpaths where made for horses

I've always thought it won't be long until some H&S so called expert suggests a rail along the waters edge to prevent people falling into the canal.

Can still remember reading somewhere but can't remember where or whoo it was.

But this person was doing a risk assesment for a canal event somewhere with a H&S officer.

When told that thehorse drawn trip boat would go up this section of canal the H&S official stated I don't think these towpaths where made for horses

In 1962 the Lock Keeper at Alrewas told me the canal wasn't designed for narrow boats and the Keeper at The Bratch said boats should not be towed down the Locks.He could not explain the grooves in the iron and stonework.

A risk assessment has been carried out and whilst the likelihood of a cyclist crashing at the right angle and sufficient speed to go over the wall at this particular point is low, the severity of the incident is very high, with a risk of death or permanent disability.

Anyone with common snese that does risk assessments knows that the two main factors to take into account are the severity of the potential risk and the likelyhood of it happening. Most people would accept that an extremely unlikly event more than outweighs the danger. It seems that the H&S person here has recognised these two criteria, but is incapable of applying common sense to the associated risks. If no-one has managed to fall off in over 200 years, I would suggest that the risk assessment is close to zero.

We all know that speed can contribute to the severity of an accident, which is why half the country is now subjected to 40 or 50mph speed limits due to this taken too seriously. The obvious conclusion to this line of thinking is to have a blanket 3 mph speed limit.

Anyone with common snese that does risk assessments knows that the two main factors to take into account are the severity of the potential risk and the likelyhood of it happening. Most people would accept that an extremely unlikly event more than outweighs the danger. It seems that the H&S person here has recognised these two criteria, but is incapable of applying common sense to the associated risks. If no-one has managed to fall off in over 200 years, I would suggest that the risk assessment is close to zero.

We all know that speed can contribute to the severity of an accident, which is why half the country is now subjected to 40 or 50mph speed limits due to this taken too seriously. The obvious conclusion to this line of thinking is to have a blanket 3 mph speed limit.

maybe she thinks they will be riding penny farthings :rolleyes: and if they were none of them fell in either by the sounds of it thats about the only way i know of on a bike to get 8 feet in the air .Apart from if some idiot pulls out in front of you on your vfr without looking and i would have cleared the fence as well i wonder what she would have come up with then,Accidents happen when your enjoying yourself I wish HS people would let people enjoy there persuits without trying to control everything.I hope she never goes over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct . :lol: