Aylesbury Arm - Massive Development Proposal

me2u

Featured Posts

Those of you who know the Aylesbury Arm and for those who will hopefully visit sometime in the future the following proposal will interest/alarm you!

Arla Foods are planning to build, what is reputed to be, the largest milk processing plant in the World near Aylesbury. This 110 acre Industrial complex would be covered with structures including 30 metre high Silos all bordering the Aylesbury Arm from Buckland bridge above lock 12 to College Road at Lock 13. The moorings above Lock 12 are one of the few places to stop to enjoy great views towards the Chiltern hills.

Why scar this peaceful agricultural land and the rural aspect of the canal when surely there must be many brown field sites more suitable. This complex added to the inevitable expansion of Aylesbury above Lock 14 will endanger/destroy the unique rural nature of the last 4 canal miles into Aylesbury.

Arla are undertaking a consultation excercise at this time and have scheduled the following public consultations :- Wednesday 8th Dec 6pm-8-30pm at Weston Turville Village Hall and Thursday 9th Dec 4pm- 7-30pm at Anthony Hall, London Road, Aston Clinton.

A website www.arlafoods.co.uk/aylesbury should be live from 3rd December.

Best Wishes & keep warm everybody.

Whilst in no way wishing to play down this development, or your objections to it, I again see the claim that it will affect 4 miles of the canal.

Given the description of where it is to be only seems to relate to around half a mile of the arm, can you please explain further why you see it as being detrimental to two thirds of the total length of the arm ?

Those of you who know the Aylesbury Arm and for those who will hopefully visit sometime in the future the following proposal will interest/alarm you!

<snip>

It's a dilemma indeed - the canals were of course originally built to serve industry and commerce and when somebody wants to build a commercial development right next to one people get concerned.

If the development was in some way to utilise the canals I suspect there would be of lesser concern possible support even, also if the building was to be as aesthetically pleasing as some of the industrial developments that were built at the same time as the canals they connected it would possibly have more support.

Of course the likely reality is the canal and it's use will not feature in any aspect of the development and the building is likely to look no different from the Arla building off the M62 or the rather bland huge grey sheds that blot the landscape at Burton-on-Trent on the north side of the T&M.

So for me (said from the stance of not being familiar with the specific location)it is about improving how the development integrates with the adjacent waterway and how it can be made to look better in it's setting.

Probably a very very tall order...

Edited by MJG

Sorry but sounding a bit NIMBYish

Canals were instigated to serve industry and accordingly many canal side building reflect that.

In recent years that I have been on the water I've seen a fair number of commercial devolopments, most of which are visually attractive, a few have "fenced" of sides to the canal, but again nothing so terrible.

the up side of such a developement will hopefully be an increase in work for the folks @ Aylesbury as well as the actual building work giving work.

yes an element of a view will change, but it could all be worse..

they might have wante dto fill the canal in !