Pintail and Pochard History

jake_crew

Featured Posts

I'm trying to find out about the history of the BWB push tugs Pintail and Pochard.

email411.jpg

Possibly built in the sixties, they are 6' 10" wide, whereas Fox and Bantam 4 are similar (but much wider).

According to the BW asset register, Pintail was built by BW Bulls Bridge in 1994 which, if true, is much later than I'd expect, and ties up with the BWB paperwork which starts in 1994.

BUT the 1996 survey states that there is considerable wear to the bottom and counter and recommens overplating. So she couldn't have been new in '94.

Perhaps they got her 2nd hand. Any info appreciated as to where and when they were constructed.

Also, if anyone sees Pochard I could do with some shots of the winch assemblies, and details of the streerers cab sliding hatch. She was at Buckby top a month ago but has gone now.

I'm trying to find out about the history of the BWB push tugs Pintail and Pochard.

Possibly built in the sixties, they are 6' 10" wide, whereas Fox and Bantam 4 are similar (but much wider).

According to the BW asset register, Pintail was built by BW Bulls Bridge in 1994 which, if true, is much later than I'd expect, and ties up with the BWB paperwork which starts in 1994.

BUT the 1996 survey states that there is considerable wear to the bottom and counter and recommens overplating. So she couldn't have been new in '94.

Perhaps they got her 2nd hand. Any info appreciated as to where and when they were constructed.

Also, if anyone sees Pochard I could do with some shots of the winch assemblies, and details of the streerers cab sliding hatch. She was at Buckby top a month ago but has gone now.

Clearly the British Waterways Board "asset register" you have seen is different to the one I was given access to a few years ago (which I databased, supplying a copy to B.W.B.). In the version I have the push tug PINTAIL, asset number 81642 - index number 501228, is given a build date of 1974 with the original cost being £7899 ! PINTAIL was in the Worcester area in 1983 before returning to Bradley for repairs. Latterly PINTAIL was based at Hythe Bridge and I have recorded seeing it several times around Braunston / Long Buckby between 1997 and 2007.

I have POCHARD, asset number 81727 - index number 500216, as a Class RY38 push tug built in 1981 by Bulls Bridge Repair Yard at a cost of £23080. Initially POCHARD was with the Midland Region but was later transferred to the North Eastern Division. In 2006 POCHARD was based at the Long Eaton Yard.

I have no doubt that PINTAIL was built in house by British Waterways Board, unlike BANTAM IV (not BANTAM 4) which was an early push tug built in March 1950 by E.C. Jones, Brentford for Walter Smith, Brasted. Not knowing too much about these tugs I am happy to admit that I have no record of FOX, unless of course it is an old boat that has been renamed !

Thanks for the info Pete. I guess the asset reg comment I have seen actually means that the tug was acquired by Bull Bridge in '94. Or else the 94 should be 74.

It all adds colour to the story.

Fox is shown in the boat gallery of this very forum, in Skipton.

linky

Edited by jake_crew

Thanks for the info Pete. I guess the asset reg comment I have seen actually means that the tug was acquired by Bull Bridge in '94. Or else the 94 should be 74.

It all adds colour to the story.

Fox is shown in the boat gallery of this very forum, in Skipton.

linky

Ah yes, I remember FOX now - but without either the asset number or index number (preferably the former) I am unable to identify it.