Old canal book: 1904 - The canal system of England: its growth and present condition, with particular reference to the cheap carriage of goods

Québec

Featured Posts

Another find from the Internet Archives:

H. Gordon Thompson (1904) The canal system of England: its growth and present condition, with particular reference to the cheap carriage of goods

Can be read online or downloaded in the original version on a computer, or downloaded for an e-book reader - if you've got one

Clicky

And here's an even older book:

J. Philliips (1803) A general history of inland navigation, foreign and domestic; containing a complete account of the canals already executed in England with considerations on those projected

published in 1803.

http://www.archive.org/details/generalhistoryof00philrich

generalhistoryof00philrich_0007.jpg

Splendid research - please keep going . . .

The 5th edition (1805) of this title was reprinted by David & Charles in 1970, and appears to differ not at all from the 4th which you have flagged on line. Even the errata is the same, so it looks like the 5th was a straight reprint of the 4th

There is now a wealth of similar titles on line that have not been accessible up till now apart from through very academic libraries. Some have been flagged on various email groups over the years.

I reckon it's time someone compiled the ultimate list of such now-accessible historic books. I have put a few onto the NarrowBoat website's History on the Web page (Oh, including this one now I come to look!) See http://www.narrowboatmagazine.com/links.html

Any volunteers?

If folks is happy to send them to me I can put them on that webpage - but independence may be preferred?

Hugh Potter

Thanks Hugh,

Some books which don't seem to be in Narrowboat archive.

Edwin. J Pratt (1906) British Canals: Is Their Resuscitation Practicable?

Vernon-Harcourt, Leveson Francis, (1882) Treatise on rivers and canals, relating to the control and improvement of rivers and the design, construction and development of canals. Oxford University Press

David Stevenson (1872)The principles and practice of canal and river engineering(First published in 1858, under title: Canal and river engineering; being the article "Inland navigation" from the eighth edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica)

Kirkaldy, Adam Willis; Evans, Alfred Dudley (1920) The history and economics of transport

includes Methods of Transport and their Development - the land or the water route - the beginning of the english canal system - Canal Economics - CAPITAL REVENUE AND TRAFFIC- DEFECTS OF THE CANAL SYSTEM -ADVANTAGES OF WATER TRANSPORT- RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE ROYAL COMMISSION

Splendid research - please keep going . . .

The 5th edition (1805) of this title was reprinted by David & Charles in 1970, and appears to differ not at all from the 4th which you have flagged on line. Even the errata is the same, so it looks like the 5th was a straight reprint of the 4th

There is now a wealth of similar titles on line that have not been accessible up till now apart from through very academic libraries. Some have been flagged on various email groups over the years.

I reckon it's time someone compiled the ultimate list of such now-accessible historic books. I have put a few onto the NarrowBoat website's History on the Web page (Oh, including this one now I come to look!) See http://www.narrowboatmagazine.com/links.html

Any volunteers?

If folks is happy to send them to me I can put them on that webpage - but independence may be preferred?

Hugh Potter

It would be a large job as I have around 200 historic canal-related pdfs of books sitting on my hard disk, many of which are available on the internet, though some are ones which I have created from archive material. I keep wondering whether to put more onto my website http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/Downloads.html - not listed by you Hugh!!! - though there is the problem of reproduction fees. Does putting things on-line for free exclude the need for payment under distribution for research in copyright law, though as most items are out of conventional copyright, that might not be the correct legal terminology.

Edited by Pluto

though there is the problem of reproduction fees. Does putting things on-line for free exclude the need for payment under distribution for research in copyright law, though as most items are out of conventional copyright, that might not be the correct legal terminology.

I'm not a legal expert, though I've done a lot of research and spoken to legal experts about this as part of my day job.

The out-of-copyright (OoC) material is out-of-copyright. Full stop.

However, any artefact that you create to contain that out-of-copyright material e.g. a website, is protected. So, for example, having created your archive of OoC material, you could legitimately charge for access to it.

It gets rather greyer in relation to OoC works that you have 're-used' or 're-purposed' e.g. created your own PDF of one or more OoC documents. But if you were to create a book of that material, that would be your book, it would be your copyright, and you could legitimately sell it.