Route advice from Wrenbury please

johnnyb

Featured Posts

I have hired a narrowboat for a week from Wrenbury, and would appreciate some advice on where to go. I do not want to travel on the Llangollen canal. Can somebody please offer some good advice on where to go? I thought may be heading to Audlem or Norbury.

It'll be a bit difficult not to travel on the Llangollen Canl if you're starting from Wrenbury, unless the boat comes complete with a trailer and a crane :P

Whichever way you go after Hurleston, either southwards down the Shroppie or else along the branch to Middlewich, I guarantee you'll enjoy it! I presume you're looking for some peace and quiet if you want to avoid the Llangollen; you'll find it OK on either of these, except at Middlewich itself or at Nantwich.

Northward to Chester is slightly harder work because the locks are bigger.

If there's anything you're particularly seeking (real ale, historical sites, etc) let us know and I'm sure someone here will come up with a few suggestions.

I have hired a narrowboat for a week from Wrenbury, and would appreciate some advice on where to go. I do not want to travel on the Llangollen canal. Can somebody please offer some good advice on where to go? I thought may be heading to Audlem or Norbury.

Could I travel to Autherly Junction and back within a week. If not, are there any turning points along the way, (the boat I have hired is 69' long!). Again, any help would be appreciated.

It'll be a bit difficult not to travel on the Llangollen Canl if you're starting from Wrenbury, unless the boat comes complete with a trailer and a crane :P

:P

But keeping up is right, eather way you go from hurleston, you will have great fun.

- We where at whixall last winter, we did the the shopie down to autherley, then the the stafs/worcs and down the T&M to nottingham, then all the way back up the T&M to preston brook.

- We've also done the chester run a while ago, and down as far as tiverton lock more recently (beucase its less then 10min from our house!)

I depends if you after a booze cruse, stoping for an hour at every pub, and the calling it a day at 4 becuase you've found a good 'un.

- Or weather you want to be working flatout 8-9 every day with you ocm/kids setting the locks like billo.

(me prefering more of the latter!)

I make. Hurleston, Autherly, Great Haywood, Midlewich, Barbridge, Hurleston 104miles 94locks.

- So if its 5miles (10locks) up the wrenbury, that gives you 228lockmiles, which working on 6day trip, is 37.9 lockmiles/day. Which is a lot.

- Now thats do able, but your'll be working damm hard for it, and even tho im one for geting the distance covered, im not i'd do it, and you wouldnt do it without help at lock, and you've got the harcaste, which takes time.

Could I travel to Autherly Junction and back within a week. If not, are there any turning points along the way, (the boat I have hired is 69' long!). Again, any help would be appreciated.

Yes.

- I make Hurleston-Autherley and back 35miles 29locks (158lockmiles total) which gives you a much more do-able 26.3 lockmiles/day

- Still not pub-crawling speed by anyones imagination, but more lesurely. That proberbly what i would do distance wise atleast.

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

You could do that, it's about 24 hours travel each way so 3 days out and 3 days back, assuming no delays such as queues at the locks, early morning hangovers, etc.

If you don't get that far there are PLENTY of places to turn round. My map shows 18 of them between Hurleston and Autherley. Your hire company should be able to provide you with an up-to-date map which shows them all (as well as the water points and pubs. Which is all you need)

The BEST things about the canal are NOT planning too much and NOT rushing anything. Most places look quite different on the way back, the best advice is head towards Autherley at a relaxed pace that suits you, and remember to turn around after 3 days or the hire company will be very upset wth you.

:P

But keeping up is right, eather way you go from hurleston, you will have great fun.

- We where at whixall last winter, we did the the shopie down to autherley, then the the stafs/worcs and down the T&M to nottingham, then all the way back up the T&M to preston brook.

- We've also done the chester run a while ago, and down as far as tiverton lock more recently (beucase its less then 10min from our house!)

I depends if you after a booze cruse, stoping for an hour at every pub, and the calling it a day at 4 becuase you've found a good 'un.

- Or weather you want to be working flatout 8-9 every day with you ocm/kids setting the locks like billo.

(me prefering more of the latter!)

I make. Hurleston, Autherly, Great Haywood, Midlewich, Barbridge, Hurleston 109miles 94locks.

- So if its 5miles (10locks) up the wrenbury, that gives you 208 lockmiles, which working on 6day trip, is 34.6 lockmiles/day.

- Now thats do able, but your'll be working damm hard for it, and you got the harcaste which takes time.

Daniel

Daniel,

I am taking my Mum, and my in-laws, who are all over 60, plus my wife and son. So I think a leisurly trip is more for me. I live close to Preston Brook, and I have travelled the Llangolen before so I thought the Shroppie would be good. However, I am concerned about getting to Autherly and back in a week. Would Wrenbury to Norbury be good?

p.s

the grown-ups do enjoy a beer.