TRENT & MERSEY

RONNIE

Featured Posts

Hi everyone we are taking a Fabuloso holiday boat out for a week from Mercia marina,do we go left towards burton on trent or the other way to langley mill or nottingham,we like the scenic routes and not the busy towns. Ronnie

The Trent Valley Burton way could hardly be described as scenic. It's a series of gravel pits and never strays far from the noise of the A38 trunk road.

The Erewash probably wouldn't suit you either. It's a combination of urban, industrial with some dereliction thrown in for most of the route.

There's always the third option of up the Soar.

After asking the same question - referred to in post #3 we are going right towards Fradley junction.

At Fradley we are going straight on to a part of the system we've not yet been on and will turn back on Wednesday - really looking forward to it.

The Trent Valley Burton way could hardly be described as scenic. It's a series of gravel pits and never strays far from the noise of the A38 trunk road.

The Erewash probably wouldn't suit you either. It's a combination of urban, industrial with some dereliction thrown in for most of the route.

You can clear all that in half a day or so from Mercia then you have Alrewas and Fradley, which more than makes up for a bit of noise to start with in my opinion

Edited by Sarah and Ian

The river sections as you approach Alweras are quite beautiful though.

The river sections as you approach Alweras are quite beautiful though.

But you need to pass through grotty Burton on Trent to get there. I actually find the Erewash Canal quite beautiful. However, as the OP stated he wanted to avoid the built up areas in favour of some scenery, I still believe the River Soar is the favorable route.

I think Burton is surprisingly attractive and clean by canal - certainly much less grotty than by road.

However I would go to Nottingham and then up the Trent to Newark. The journey to Trent Lock is quite scenic and interesting. Nottingham is worth a visit, there are plenty of moorings. And then the journey down the Trent provides yet more variety. Newark is an attractive destination.

If you have time the Erewash is worth a visit, though the first half is through the industrial outskirts of Nottingham.

Edited by NBDensie