morso woodburner

panji

Featured Posts

Am fast approaching fitting my morso squirrel in a new build, anybody out there with any experience, advice or tips on fitting said item would be helpful ie: drilling the hole through the roof and how far back should i cut the sprayfoam back from the flue pipe to avoid any fire risk. many thanks Carlos.

... and how far back should i cut the sprayfoam back from the flue pipe to avoid any fire risk. many thanks Carlos.

I would say two inches at least from the chimney, however -

a] fill with fire resistant insulation - stops condensation running down chimney when cold.

b] insert a material to enable fixings to be made - hence having somewhere to fasten the brass collar on the inside.

I ended up with about an inch gap filled with rockwool and it doesn't seem to get too hot?

It might be a good idea if you paid a visit to your local library and asked to look at the new British Standard Code of Practice for the Installation of Solid Fuel Stoves on Boats, BS 8511.

This will tell you all you would ever want to know on the subject (and probably a few things you might not want to know!!). All the vital stuff about safe clearances and flue design is in there. The CoP was developed as a consequence of a fatal fire on a canal boat a few years ago.

The library won't have a paper copy to hand but should be able to let you browse the document via one of their in house PCs.

You won't be able to print it all to take it away but they should allow you to print and take up to 10% of it for a small fee.

These are the rules for BS docs unfortunately. Some county libraries allow read only access via home PCs if you are a library member (my library used to until a few months ago) but many counties have now cut this service.

As you're doing a new build it could be more important for you to comply although it is still not clear about what Boat Safety Scheme changes may result from the issue of the CoP last Spring.

At least you are installing a Morso Squirrel which is built and tested to BS 13240. This makes compliance with BS 8511 a bit easier as you will find if you read it.

Richard