Canal Festivals

Featured Posts

Hi,

Earlier in the year we attended the Skipton Festival and thoroughly enjoyed it all. We don't have our own boat(maybe one day we will)but still love being around narrow boats etc.

There was a small clip on BBC News a few weeks back about canal(s) being closed at Skipton. I am wondering if this will have any effect on next years festival at Skipton? Does anyone know what the theme is likely to be next year?

One other question please. Are there any other festivals happening around the country. I guess they would have to be something special to be better than Skipton- but who knows?

Kindest regards,

Pete

Hi,

Earlier in the year we attended the Skipton Festival and thoroughly enjoyed it all. We don't have our own boat(maybe one day we will)but still love being around narrow boats etc.

There was a small clip on BBC News a few weeks back about canal(s) being closed at Skipton. I am wondering if this will have any effect on next years festival at Skipton? Does anyone know what the theme is likely to be next year?

One other question please. Are there any other festivals happening around the country. I guess they would have to be something special to be better than Skipton- but who knows?

Kindest regards,

Pete

There are lots of other festivals. The IWA National Festival has just ended. I believe most are listed in the waterway magazines and a list is produced each spring.

Sue

Off the top of my head, theres:

Shackerstone Festival - 4/5 September

Angel Canal Festival - 5 September

Rugby Waterways Festival - 11/12 September

Black Country Boating Festival - 11/12 September

Slough Canal Festival - 11/12 September

Tipton Canal Festival - 18/19 September

Stoke Bruerne Village at War - 1/2/3 October

BCNS Bonfire Do - 6 November

Thanks for that. Never realised so many. If you have been to the Skipton Festival how would you rate the other ones in order.

the only Festival i have attended is Skipton and that was really enjoyable. Obviously the setting was magnificent as Skipton is a great place in my opinion.

Thanks,Pete

The canal is not closed at Skipton. The canal is closed between Gargrave and Wigan.

Clearly, everyone is hoping this does not happen again next year. However, if it did it might affect boats travelling to Skipton Festival from the west, although that didn't happen this year, as the Festival took place before the water ran out.