Blacking my boat hull How to and where near Doncaster

AndrewB10

Featured Posts

Yep. Stanilands is your closest bet. Worth ringing to see when is available - it can get booked quite far ahead and you need a few days out of the water whne it's reasonably dry. They pull it out on a trailer and jetwash it for you - jetwashing while it is still wet is important, otherwise all the crud dries on solid. That part costs you a few hundred quid if I remember right. You need to then leave it to dry before the blacking can start

If you want to do it yourself it's straightforward - with brush for the first coat to get into all the crevices, leave it to go off, then repeat with brush or roller as you choose, just keep going round and round till you get bored or your time runs out - about 3 coats is minimum, though many people put more on, especially on the water line. Often messy, but straightforward. If you want them to do it for you, they'll charge a price per foot.

While the boat's out is a good time to do any other work, or at least check everything you can't normally get to. And to replace anodes if you need to.

I'd recommend Thorne Boat Services by the way if you do need mechanical or hull work doing - they're down the way from Stanilands and have an arrangement with them for the slipway. My boat is much happier after their ministrations. They are standard marina prices but do good thorough work at fair value.

Stanilands also have a covered dry dock, which I assume is more expensive.