BMC exhaust

Trix

Featured Posts

Can any help me identify what exhaust silencer I need for a BMC 1500, manifold is there and leads to a flexi pipe which has a four bolt flange. It will exit through the rear of the boat near the top of the transom but the silencer is missing removed by the previous owner, there is a large mounting bracket on the inside of the engine bay where the silencer once was and I would guess it would have been the size of a lorry exhaust box. Question is, do I just find a large exhaust box and make it fit??? or is there something designed for the job?

Can any help me identify what exhaust silencer I need for a BMC 1500, manifold is there and leads to a flexi pipe which has a four bolt flange. It will exit through the rear of the boat near the top of the transom but the silencer is missing removed by the previous owner, there is a large mounting bracket on the inside of the engine bay where the silencer once was and I would guess it would have been the size of a lorry exhaust box. Question is, do I just find a large exhaust box and make it fit??? or is there something designed for the job?

Unless it was made from car exhaust bits, most BMC's had a round silencer box that screwed into a skin fitting on the hull (it fact I think the skin fitting is a standard for a lot of boat engines). Screwed into the other end is the flexible exhaust section, onto which is then screwed an adaptor plate which in turn bolts to the manifold.

You should find most chandlers etc. stock silencers?

I understand they are absorbsion types and are supposed to be changed every so often (maybe 10 years or when they rust?)