Painting over smooth hammerite

Mac49

Featured Posts

My decks are ready for repainting and were previously painted with smooth hammerite and seem to remember there could be some problems with overpainting with another type of paint due to it possibly containing silicon. I'm not sure if this applied just to the hammer finish or if it i'm just imagining it all together. Has anyone got experience of this? It would be normal red oxide and deck paint i'd be using, not xylene based.

Thanks Rick.

The general advice is as you recalled - 'ordinary' hammerite has too much silicon to be easily overpainted but fully cured Smooth Hammerite 'should' be okay. However, why not simply overpaint with more Hammerite? If you want rid because it chips too easily then it'll still do so underneath new paint.

Tony

The general advice is as you recalled - 'ordinary' hammerite has too much silicon to be easily overpainted but fully cured Smooth Hammerite 'should' be okay. However, why not simply overpaint with more Hammerite? If you want rid because it chips too easily then it'll still do so underneath new paint.

Tony

I probably would just use more Hammerite as it's lasted pretty well but it was the first part of the boat to be painted and I changed my mind about the colour scheme after doing it so it does match anything. The only colour in the range that goes now is black, which i'm not keen on, they seem to have cut back on the colour range quite a bit (including the particular blue it is now!). Might try a small area of primer and see what happens before buying deck paint.

Cheers Rick.