kings norton / wast hill tunnel

barney

Featured Posts

It's a while since I've been through there, but i'm sure you can pass and it isn't 'timed' in any way.

If you're looking to moor near the tunnel bear in mind that the country approach is nice but the urban end is in a long, dank cutting (dingy, soft ground for pins, lots of biting insects and a canal full of burger boxes).

Definitely two way.

For some reason a load of residents at the boats at Gas Street tried to convince us this is a nasty tunnel. Complete rubbish, it's a nice easy one, and wasn't even particularly wet when we dif it.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if two boats can pass in the tunnel ? or is it timed and where is the best places to moor on the Worcester & Birmingham canal.

Regards

We went through only last year, it is definately 2 way traffic in there, if you want a good mooring you wouldn`t go far wrong at Hopwood, the pub does great food. Beware at what time of day you go through the tunnel , we came through from the Birmingham end and was stoned from the top of the bank as we went in - as you come through the other side you would have thought you`d entered a different world, it`s lovelly on the Hopwood side. We were warned not to moor anywhere on the otherside until we got to Gas Street, it all wants gassing it`s bloody lousy and be careful what you run over in the cut.

Hope this helps

Def 2 way. No timings or anything inconvenient.

What makes a nasty tunnel? Tunnels are fun!

Mooring is good at Alvechurch or there's another pub closer to the tunnel on that side - I forget the name. Otherwise the first place I'd moor overnight between tunnel and Bham centre is by Bham University at the winding hole. But city centre would be my choice - Gas St basin if there's a space by the Hyatt, otherwise outside NIA or on the entrance to Oozells St loop (which is the quietest of the lot)

Hey Barney, when will you be going through, we are doing the Avon ring and will be coming through that way again in 2 weeks. Hopefully stoppinng at Hopwood, can`t wait :lol:

Hi

Thanks for the information, going to Worcester on to the Serven back to Stourport in 2 weeks time been upto Kings Norton junction to join the Stratford canal before but not carried on to the Serven that way before

regards

Hi

Thanks for the information, going to Worcester on to the Serven back to Stourport in 2 weeks time been upto Kings Norton junction to join the Stratford canal before but not carried on to the Serven that way before

regards

Better watch out cos the Stig will be about, watchin 4 yer :lol::lol: