Off to Cambridge

Bill Kennedy

Featured Posts

We are currently planning our 2006 cruise and have decided to explore the Fens and go to Cambridge and possibly Bedford. Brewood to Gayton Junction is not a problem however from there on it is all new territory.

Has anyone done this part of the system? What will we need in the way of lock keys and canal guides? Are there any things to watch out for? A lot of questions I know but I hope someone can help.

Merry Christmas to all.

Bill

http://www.canaljunction.com/ceasta.htm has some basic info, and a link to http://www.canalcargo.co.uk/ , where you can get:

Imray Fenland Waterways £6.95

This is a really good guide. As for keys, yes, you need extra lock and water point keys, which you can purchase along the way (at Gayton and Salter's Lode). A good tip is to make friends with Paul, the lock keeper at Salter's Lode Lock. The river between Salter's Lode and Denver Sluice can be accessed only at certain times of the tide, so you will need to get the information beforehand, and you need to give 24 hours notice of intention to pass these two locks. The phone numbers are in the guide. Also, it's worth phoning lock keepers along the Nene to check what they are doing with the river, for example there's a sunken boat on the Peterborough stretch somewhere, which they keep threatening to close that section to drain down the river so they can lift the boat.

Pm me if you get anywhere near Cambridge! (I live there, though sadly not on a boat just yet!)

Oh, I should have said about Paul, he's really helpful and loves his job, and will happily give you lots of advice on navigating between Salter's Lode and Denver (it can come as a bit of a shock, there's a fair amount of river here!). And you won't get throught he lock until he says so . He's God as far as the lock is concerned!!

We are currently planning our 2006 cruise and have decided to explore the Fens and go to Cambridge and possibly Bedford. Brewood to Gayton Junction is not a problem however from there on it is all new territory.

Has anyone done this part of the system? What will we need in the way of lock keys and canal guides? Are there any things to watch out for? A lot of questions I know but I hope someone can help.

Merry Christmas to all.

Bill

There's a brief report with a few pictures on my website.

Also have a look at the wealth of information on the unofficial website of the Middle-Level Commissioners.

Enjoy the trip, it's well worth while.

Merry Christmas - Allan