Outboard Gear Selection Problem

Featured Posts

Hi All

I’ve not read much on outboard help on these forums before but I really hope there’s an expert out there somewhere, because having big problems.

I bought a cruiser a couple of weeks ago with a 3 year old Mariner 15hp engine controlled by a Quicksilver Remote and cables that were supplied with the engine. The engine has less than 10 hours running time.

My problem is gear selection – the remote is massively stiff moving from the central position neutral position into either reverse or forward – forward seems worse than reverse. On a number of occasions the engine will not come out of reverse and the cables get pushed off the linkage.

What I’ve tried so far:-

• Disconnected the cables off the engine – they move very freely.

• Checked the cable runs and made sure there are no sharp bends

• Run oil down the cables as best I can

• Taken the remote apart and ensured it’s all creased.

• I pulled the engine out, put it in the shop, they serviced it and checked the gear change and said nothing is wrong with it.

One thing I have noticed is a sprung hold down “clamp” on the gear selection shaft. Is there any adjustment in that sprung clamp? What happens if I take it off completely?

Any ideas, suggestions, words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated as I’m completely out of ideas.

Hi All

I’ve not read much on outboard help on these forums before but I really hope there’s an expert out there somewhere, because having big problems.

I bought a cruiser a couple of weeks ago with a 3 year old Mariner 15hp engine controlled by a Quicksilver Remote and cables that were supplied with the engine. The engine has less than 10 hours running time.

My problem is gear selection – the remote is massively stiff moving from the central position neutral position into either reverse or forward – forward seems worse than reverse. On a number of occasions the engine will not come out of reverse and the cables get pushed off the linkage.

What I’ve tried so far:-

• Disconnected the cables off the engine – they move very freely.

• Checked the cable runs and made sure there are no sharp bends

• Run oil down the cables as best I can

• Taken the remote apart and ensured it’s all creased.

• I pulled the engine out, put it in the shop, they serviced it and checked the gear change and said nothing is wrong with it.

One thing I have noticed is a sprung hold down “clamp” on the gear selection shaft. Is there any adjustment in that sprung clamp? What happens if I take it off completely?

Any ideas, suggestions, words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated as I’m completely out of ideas.

I notice you do not tell us how old the boat is.

Quicksilver is/was, I think, the brand name for Mercury outboard accessories so although I think Mariner is in someway associated with Mercury my suspicion is that you have very much older cables and control.

In my experience old cables can feel fine when operated without a load but as soon as a load is applied they really stiffen up. This is made worse by leaving disconnected ends exposed to rain and/or bilge water. Before you go taking parts off the engine I think you may be surprised the difference a new cable makes. I a assuming the cables are adjusted so the throttle is fully closed before the gear linkage starts to move.

Hi Tony

Thanks for the response.

The remotes and the cables were new in 2007, when the engine was replaced also with a brand new unit.

You are right Mariner and Mercury are identical kit and Quicksliver seems very much in bed with Mercury as well.

The boat is 35 years old !

Half the run of the cables are exposed to all the elements where they join the engine, it's very possible that they have been damaged by the weather over the last 3 years.

I will take your advise and order up some new ones.

Thanks

Hi Tony

Thanks for the response.

The remotes and the cables were new in 2007, when the engine was replaced also with a brand new unit.

You are right Mariner and Mercury are identical kit and Quicksliver seems very much in bed with Mercury as well.

Half the run of the cables are exposed to all the elements where they join the engine, it's very possible that they have been damaged by the weather over the last 3 years.

Thanks

and, if you get half a chance - - lubricate all the cables regularly - even the new ones- there are graphite greases that do the job admirably

and, if you get half a chance - - lubricate all the cables regularly - even the new ones- there are graphite greases that do the job admirably

I am not sure that will do much god apart from lubricating the metal pieces at the end. All the control cables I have seen run a steel wire down a plastic (nylon?) tube with seals at the ends. It is usually all but impossible to oil right into the cable but dirty bilge water seems to have no problem.

You may be able to force oil in with a suitable pressurised cable lubricator though.

Hi Tony

Thanks for the response.

Thanks

Before you do that disconnect them from the engine end and get someone to hold the outers in the position they normally run in but also to put as much resistance against your movement at the control. If they do not stiffen up over and above the resistance applied then new cables will probably not solve it.

The inner wire normally runs in a nylon tube and that in turn is surrounded by very hard and stiff steel wires with the whole lot covered in plastic. If the cables are only 3 years old I think you may well have another problem but what I do not know because my next thoughts would be problems with the mechanism inside the engine. However the dealer has said its OK.

Have you tried running the motor on the boat with the cables disconnected?, ie, start up & try selecting gears & revving up the motor using the levers where the cables connect to the motor, If all is well then you know the fault lies in the cables or control box.You said the cables move freely so I would look at the control box.Remove the cables& box so you can see the mech in the box. work it as though you were using it on the motor you will see that there is an interlocking mech that prevents you revving the motor unless you depress a button, or pull out the lever or a knob on the end of the lever, if the ajustment is not correct it some times make for very stiff operation Also check that the spring loaded cable carrier is the correct way around this is the part of the mech that allows the gear to be engaged without the motor revving up, if this is set incorrectly you will be forcing the mech. If it is wrong check the mech isn`t bent. It`s a bit difficult to be more specific but all the control boxes are different although the same basics apply to all models