boat painting

Featured Posts

I paint my own boat...usually every 2 years ....I sand, then undercoat the white 1" stripe then top coat it with Dulux or International gloss....leave it a few days then cover it with low tack masking tape before undercoating and topcoating the areas either side of the stripe.....but I always have problems with the low tack masking tape pulling at least some of the white off and then I end up doing a bodge touch up on the white.

Also is there a maximum time you can leave the tape on for...I try to undercoat and topcoat in a day and although I'd like to put 2 topcoats on, I'm not happy leaving the tape on overnight.

Has anyone any advice or does anyone know of a link to an article that might be able to get me over this problem

I paint my own boat...usually every 2 years ....I sand, then undercoat the white 1" stripe then top coat it with Dulux or International gloss....leave it a few days then cover it with low tack masking tape before undercoating and topcoating the areas either side of the stripe.....but I always have problems with the low tack masking tape pulling at least some of the white off and then I end up doing a bodge touch up on the white.

Also is there a maximum time you can leave the tape on for...I try to undercoat and topcoat in a day and although I'd like to put 2 topcoats on, I'm not happy leaving the tape on overnight.

Has anyone any advice or does anyone know of a link to an article that might be able to get me over this problem

I cannot definitively answer your question - - but can only suggest that maybe as Dulux or International Gloss isn't really suitable for the job in hand . . have you tried the process with a good quality boat enamel (such as craftmaster)?

The other thought is that the paint is either not curing properly - or maybe it isn't adhering to the undercoat as well as it should . . have you cleaned the undercoat thoroughly before your gloss coat?

Hi Stuart :lol:

Could I ask:

How thoroughly do you key the boat before the white goes on? And what grit sandpaper?

Are you painting outside?

What are you using and where did you buy it?

Chris

Ordinary low tack tape boughty from DIY barns will not work very well, put it on to firmly and it will pull the paint off, put it on too lightly and it will bleed. what you need is proper coachliners tape. These people sell it but they have a minimum order of £20:- http://www.stonehouses.co.uk/product_desc.php?id=2941

Edited by David Schweizer

How thoroughly do you key the boat before the white goes on? And what grit sandpaper?

Are you painting outside?

What are you using and where did you buy it?

I use red scotch , painting outdoors and I've been using Dulux or International gloss.

I'm not after a perfect finish ...to do that I realise I'd have to spend a long time sanding and filling to get the surfaces smooth to begin with ...and then to get a good end product I'd need to work undercover...and ideally spray with 2-pack....I'd just like to get a reasonable finish where I don't have to touch up bleeds and paint pulls.

Hi there Stuart,

The purple tale from JEWSONS is very good and should come off easily.

Regarding the masking tape don't leave this on for too long a period the UV rays of the sun make the adhesive rock hard and very difficult to remove.

But over night should not be a problem .

Stuart - What I have found works for me is to paint the entire side to top coat and then paint very roughly the line whilst ensuring the edges are faded in (or is it feathered) to the colour top coat - leave it to dry really hard (it looks horrible but be patient) - then use tape the thickness of the line you want to be left with making sure to run along the edges to ensure no paint can seep under ( I use my thimbnail but I've seen hard rollers used) - apply the last topcoat and before it has the chance to dry at all, pull the tape off straight away angling it close to the boat in the direction you are pulling. I am certainly no expert but I have seen pro-jobs looking a lot worse.

Thanks for the replies...Ian (or Lesley) what you suggest sounds as though it should work and allows me to take my time with painting the the undercoats and base coats .......I can see some problems but it still sounds a better method than the one i'm using

Thanks for the replies...Ian (or Lesley) what you suggest sounds as though it should work and allows me to take my time with painting the the undercoats and base coats .......I can see some problems but it still sounds a better method than the one i'm using

I should add that DIY Gloss paint is good for main work but buy a top quality thick signwriters/coach paint for the line because you want it to cover what will usually be a darker colour (ege White line on red cabin side).

I use red scotch , painting outdoors and I've been using Dulux or International gloss.

I'm not after a perfect finish ...to do that I realise I'd have to spend a long time sanding and filling to get the surfaces smooth to begin with ...and then to get a good end product I'd need to work undercover...and ideally spray with 2-pack....I'd just like to get a reasonable finish where I don't have to touch up bleeds and paint pulls.

Hi Stuart,

Based on what you have said I have the following ideas, it could be one or more or none of the following:

1. The scotch pad isn't keying the undercoat well enough, try 320 grit or similar.

2. There maybe a undetectable film of moisture on the cabin side which is preventing the paint sticking, I've experienced this a few times during high humidity. Check the dew point of the steel if poss.

3. The adhesive on the masking tape is too strong, try using the linning tape that Craftmaster sell.

From what you have said I'd probably plump for no 1.

Chris