Guildford to Bath

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

I've been given the opportunity of taking a boat from Guildford to Bath in July, so that's along the Wey, the Thames and onto the K&A. I've got two weeks to do it. I think this is enough, is it? Also are there any problems I should look out for?

Hi Stephen

We did the trip in May this year, although in the reverse direction. It took us 12 relatively leisurely days and, by my count, was about 120 miles with 120 locks (Bathwick to Guildford).

If you haven't done the trip before you have the Devizes to look forward to, particularly the Caen Hill flight which is quite challenging but is great (I'm one of those peculiar people who loves locking). The locks on both the Wey Navigation and the Kennet and Avon canal are not the easiest on the system and if you can hook up with another boat on the K&A it will make it a bit easier.

Enjoy.

Bill

Done this one. Note you will need different windlasses for the Wey and K&A.

Ahh, that's worth knowing, the boat we'll use is moored on the Wey so it'll have the long handle Wey ones, does the usual "two eye" windlass work on the K&A?

Ahh, that's worth knowing, the boat we'll use is moored on the Wey so it'll have the long handle Wey ones, does the usual "two eye" windlass work on the K&A?

Yes.

If you're going on your own 2 weeks may not be so liesurely although obviously this depends on a lot of things. But I did it last winter (just Thames and K&A) and I can't remember how long it took me but with the short days and frequent locks and swing bridges I remember it taking a fair amount of time. Great fun though, and really clear canals during the winter (if you're a miserable bugger like me and like that kind of thing) so I'm in no way trying to put you off... (as if I could) just saying if you are doing it singlehandedly you may have some pretty full days ...

I won't be on my own, my wife will be with me and also (controversial bit) hoepfully our new kiddie! I know some people may be surprised that we're taking a very young baby with us but I can't see it as a problem. When we've been boating previously as a couple I've tended to do most of it anyway. The good thing is, It won't be a crisis if we don't get all the way to Bath anyway....so hopefully it'll still be a sort of holiday!

I won't be on my own, my wife will be with me and also (controversial bit) hoepfully our new kiddie! I know some people may be surprised that we're taking a very young baby with us but I can't see it as a problem. When we've been boating previously as a couple I've tended to do most of it anyway. The good thing is, It won't be a crisis if we don't get all the way to Bath anyway....so hopefully it'll still be a sort of holiday!

Sounds good. Although I'm probably teaching grandmothers to suck eggs (and I don't even have a kid) I remember someone pointing out on this site last year that when the boat feels warm for adults it can be fairtly cold at floor level and so its worth checking such things (and putting baby on the couch rather then the floor etc). Don't really know why I mention it but I remember thinking last year it was 'an obvious point' that I'd never noticed before ...

Anyway have a good one...!

Sounds good. Although I'm probably teaching grandmothers to suck eggs (and I don't even have a kid) I remember someone pointing out on this site last year that when the boat feels warm for adults it can be fairtly cold at floor level and so its worth checking such things (and putting baby on the couch rather then the floor etc). Don't really know why I mention it but I remember thinking last year it was 'an obvious point' that I'd never noticed before ...

Anyway have a good one...!

Godd advice, I wouldn't have thought of that! The wife probably would have though!

Many thanks