Lengthening our boat

sanford

Featured Posts

Streethay Wharf seem to be popular at this sort of thing, and know what they're doing, IMHO.

Yeah, there are lot of builds that will do it (and some that wont) but the streethay streach is one of the most popular options.

Enginewise I wouldnt say the crusing speed/load would be effect that much for 10ft, but of cause, the weight and stearing of the boat will be effected, which is where engnie power really counts in terms of stoping/turning distnaces.

I can't imagine this is something where it is realistic to give a guide price measured as "per foot" ?

Me neither.

- There will of cuase be a per-lenght cost due to matrials in the main, but in terms of the bracing/cutting/shuting it all the same regaurdless of lenght.

- Even the time/labour in folding a 10ft sheet over a 5ft sheet is basicaly negligabe i would have said. Its going to be more like £5,000 plus £500 a foot. (numbers for example only)

I have a 60 footer...and was pondering adding an extra 7 foot to make a nice sitting area on the bow...
Cheaper to do an open hold than a narrowboat with a roof.

Ofcuase a bow chop (like caxton's) along with a open hold would be far cheaper to do, as there less steel work, and no real fitting out and the like.

Daniel

I did it the other way around, I shortend a Dutch Barge (Tjalk) of 33m x 5m back to her original lenght of 23m and lost 1.5km/h in speed with the same engine and prop. But I gained in manoeuvrability.

A friend of mine worked for Streethay and he said that they've done a job like you're thinking of many times without any problems.

Good luck,

Peter.

• 2 years later...