Solar panels (Again!)

dor

Featured Posts

Does anyone have experience of the flexible stick-down solar panel from Midsummer, as described here: http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/buy/solar-pan...-panel-kit.html ?

I just want a panel to try and top up my batteries between for the four or five days my boat is moored up between trips.

lucky duck and Black Ibis have just purchased some? www.nbluckyduck.blogspot.com or here for the actual post http://nbluckyduck.blogspot.com/2010/03/soaking-up-sun.html

Edited by Bones

Does anyone have experience of the flexible stick-down solar panel from Midsummer, as described here: http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/buy/solar-pan...-panel-kit.html ?

I just want a panel to try and top up my batteries between for the four or five days my boat is moored up between trips.

Yup - bought 6 from ReadyMadeResources in USA along with controller. Fitted here PVL 68

Panels really good in summer, mine are wired for 24v and produced over 11A regularly in summer. Main concern of buying from USA was exchange rate and shipping cost.

Yup - bought 6 from ReadyMadeResources in USA along with controller. Fitted here PVL 68

Panels really good in summer, mine are wired for 24v and produced over 11A regularly in summer. Main concern of buying from USA was exchange rate and shipping cost.

Excellent price too - - though as far as I can see the USA item excludes the cost of a controller/regulator . .

More important though - - what's the power level produced during winter (when, one can argue, is our greatest requirement for power of course), please?

Edited by Grace & Favour

Excellent price too - - though as far as I can see the USA item excludes the cost of a controller . .

More important though - - what's the power level produced during winter (when one can argue is our greatest requirement for power of course), please?

That's the big question, Having looked at solar power for canal boats for a while now, I suspect that they are worth having but some sort of extra generating capacity is needed in winter - and a little diesel genny may be the best source of that. I've seen the claims otherwise, and that if you have an electric motor you can manage all year round with quite a lot of cruising, but it still seems unlikely!

R

Can these be stuck onto anti slip (sand embedded in paint)? And if not what's the best way to clean off the anti slip? I'm seriously thinking about fitting some of these.

I'm interested too. When you factor out the hassle and cost of mounting and securing a conventional panel the price looks better.

Installation linky from their site.

They certainly seem to be extremely good, one question though, can they be walked on? Looked through the blurb but can't find an answer. Wondered what would happen to them if you had to jump back on board in a hurry whilst single-handed and low in a lock! Wouldn't want to wreck them at that cost.

One more question springs to mind, how difficult would it be to remove them once fitted?

When I installed mine, they were going on anti slip paint. I just rubbed down the area with coarse sand paper and cleaned off with "wasbenzine" - a bit like lighter fuel. The gunge on the underside is quite thick and will easily go over the anti slip. Panels are walkable on, but water and ice make them quite slippy. As for removal, no idea. Reckon it would be quite a struggle and might damage the cells.

They certainly seem to be extremely good, one question though, can they be walked on? Looked through the blurb but can't find an answer. Wondered what would happen to them if you had to jump back on board in a hurry whilst single-handed and low in a lock! Wouldn't want to wreck them at that cost.

One more question springs to mind, how difficult would it be to remove them once fitted?

This was in the installation guide:

Once it is there it will be barely noticable, and it is tough enough to walk upon with soft-soled shoes.

That's a yes then. I should imagine that walking on them is not advisable since if you grind any dust or grit into them then you'd scratch the surface and reduce the amount of sunlight they can absorb (probably why they say 'soft-soled').