In praise of twin-pack epoxy

Featured Posts

A friend of mine is currently blacking his boat and he's used Hemple twin-pack epoxy. It's a Colecraft so he's used the same paint as it was originally done with without any need for grit-blasting. He just pressure washed and then sanded the original paint with the correct grade of wet & dry as specified in the application instructions.

Anyway, I was always led to believe applying twin-pack was a difficult DIY job, but he seems to have had no problems despite doing the job on his own. I'm not sure exactly which twin-pack he's used as I think Hemple make a few different types, but it looks like really good stuff and the results look much harder and tougher than bitumen-based paints. I'd like to do it myself but I have the problem of having to grit-blast to get the bitumen off my boat.

I've just used some twin pack epoxy primer on the inside of my cabin top, wher the boat had been standing for a while the original primer had allowed it to rust so i rubbed it all back and added two coats of the two-pack, it worked well and after a little fiddling to get the consitancy right (it was very runny after the initial mixing but thickened up a little after 5 minutes) the job was easily finished over two days.

Seemed alot less 'fumey' than the cellulose base products

Paul

I've just used some twin pack epoxy primer on the inside of my cabin top, wher the boat had been standing for a while the original primer had allowed it to rust so i rubbed it all back and added two coats of the two-pack, it worked well and after a little fiddling to get the consitancy right (it was very runny after the initial mixing but thickened up a little after 5 minutes) the job was easily finished over two days.

Seemed alot less 'fumey' than the cellulose base products

Paul

I use 2 pack products where ever possible. Far more durable than any air dry coating.