Saloon Furniture

Lesd

Featured Posts

I'd assume its this...

Sofa Design

1 Queen Street, Stourbridge, DY8 1TP

Link to map

Sorry - I didn't catch this post in time.

Yes - absolutely correct on the address, and if you want it, the telephone number is 01384 440546. Ask for Corey, and tell him that Tarren from Kinver sent you :blush:

Good Luck!

We're off there Saturday! I'll let you know how we get on & thanks for letting us use your name Tarren :blush:

Hi Diane,

Good Luck with your new sofa, and I hope you will be as pleased with yours as I am with mine.

If you are walking from Stourbridge basin, you will need to walk up to the road and turn right, towards the big ring-road. Then turn right and walk around the ring-road anti-clockwise for a couple of hundred metres. You will eventually see their sign on your left, in the centre on the ring-road. You will then need to cross over the 3 lane ring-road, but I have a feeling that there is a pedestrian crossing pretty close by.

This is all from memory :D , of course, as either Corey visited the boat, or I drove in to visit them. As long as you have their phone number handy, they can always give you (better) directions.

...and please do let me know how you get on. :)

They will definitely remember the sofa they did for me, and it might just help them remember some of the design elements that were important. And no, I'm not on commission, or anything! :blush: I am just so pleased with the result, that I promised to pass on their details if the opportunity arose.

If your boat is close by, I daresay they will want to come and measure up, but if not, make sure you take measurements of *everything*, and it might help to take a couple of photos of the space where it will fit.

Also remember that the finished result will be completely custom, so it is up to you to specify exactly what you want in every detail. They will help with this, and did me sketches and diagrams of all the important details, but do remember: don't ask, don't get! :blush:

Good Luck!

Tarren.

Hi Tarren

We didn't manage to get to Stourbridge on Saturday but we went there yesterday & we're very pleased. :blush:

Corey was fantastic & spent a lot of time with us & nothing seemed too much trouble. He remembered almost everything about your sofa & we're virtually pinching you're idea, if that's ok?!

We're having it made in leather, colour yet to be confirmed, quite firm cushions as my husband suffers with a bad back & it will convert into a bed the same way as yours. Could you let me know how long the bed length is? Corey couldn't quite remember. Thanks.

Thank you very much for giving me his details & we also said we'd recommend him to other boaters.

Thanks again

Xxx

Edited by Diane

We didn't manage to get to Stourbridge on Saturday but we went there yesterday & we're very pleased. ;)

Hi Dianne,

I've just sent you a PM with all the dimensions on. I hope it makes sense! :blush:

I've no problem with you pinching the design that Corey and I came up with together ;)

For me, it works very well, as you get a superbly uphostered sofa which is very comfortable, which also happens to turn into a bed.

This was what I wanted, as having sampled other so-called bed-settees, they were perhaps easier to turn into a bed, but left you with a very uncomfortable sofa, which is the bit you use most of the time... not good!

I hope it all works out for you as well as it has done for me. If it does, please spread the good word around, as I like to support local businesses that work so hard to provide a fantasic service, always with a smile, and with no problem too large, and no budget too small. ;)

Kind Regards,

Tarren.

• 5 months later...

Another daft question ? I've seen several photo's of second hand NB's on vrious brokers websites and they have large 2 or 3 seater settees in the salon, are these always modular items constructed once inside the boat ? or do people carryout more drastic action to get large 'house size' furniture on board ??

Your advice would be most welcome

Les

I have a 21 inch opening at the stern, which is a bit of a problem for my Stressless Recliner, however after an inordinate amount of phone work to the makers I managed to take it apart, just waiting to take it up and put it back together!!!!!

Dont compromise on cr*p furniture, after all you could be "relaxing" on it a lot.

Hiya

We are soon to be having a NB built but as we cannot afford a fully fitted we are having a sailaway lined with kitchen, bathroom, electrics, plumbing and central heating and the interior "back to front". Does anyone know where I can buy (either new or second hand) the pullman dinettes that convert into either two single or a double bed. I know a lot of people do not seem to like them but I am afraid to say I think they are great, so if you have one you want to sell or you know of where I can buy one or have one made please let me know.

Cheers

Greg & Jax

can you actually buy them or do they have to be custom built?

Well this is a subject I`m interested in, I will be wanting a large settee so that I can sprawl out on it, and have a kip on it (I`m at that age). :rolleyes:

Since I`ll be living aboard I dont fancy the rest of my life in a sit up chair to relax watching TV.

I`ve been looking at some lovely settees with low backs and higher cushions that I reckon should fit through the front doors provideing my cratch comes off, (or before its put on).

Surely others know the answer to this without going down the single seater chair or the uncomfertable looking couch route?

Ikea do a modular sofa - it all comes apart and you put it together yourself... looks like a normal sofa!

All this bought in furniture is something new to narrowboats, builders / fitters-out would in former times build the furnishings as part of the job. There is a problem with a lot of the commercial stuff in that there is often no provision for storage of bedding, in my view an essential component of such furnishings.

Don't take any notice of the people who say that built in furnishings are difficult or uncomfortable to use, it is often better if correctly made.

All this bought in furniture is something new to narrowboats, builders / fitters-out would in former times build the furnishings as part of the job. There is a problem with a lot of the commercial stuff in that there is often no provision for storage of bedding, in my view an essential component of such furnishings.

Don't take any notice of the people who say that built in furnishings are difficult or uncomfortable to use, it is often better if correctly made.

But of course the cabinet makers that make these wonderful fitted furniture components chage through the nose for them... After a little bit of internet time, a few measurements with a tape meause and some calculations, we've ordered a pair of off the shelf chair beds from a manufcturer called flame upholstery via a furniture website - the manufacturer make a lot of varying models and sizes including some for constrained spaces (fully open 185x75cm) an after having tried the "full size" model in John lewis it's a doddle to put up down and a pretty comfortable matress/chair and a good quality of construction - a pair fo these for less than 1/3 of the price of the handcrafted fitted part.

Simon.

can you actually buy them or do they have to be custom built?

Ikea do a modular sofa - it all comes apart and you put it together yourself... looks like a normal sofa!

We have the tiniest saloon (bit daft to buy a boat for five people with a tiny saloon) so buying a sofa has been a bit of a bugger, I ordered one called the slouch couch off 'tinternet for 400 squid and it didn't come, I was gutted as it was the only one that fitted when opened out across the width of the boat. I was then informed it was out of stock for 10 weeks so I too went to Ikea armed with tape measure and notebook, the space we had available was 200 x 185 cms. We came out with the Exarby sofa for £79 and a £10 double bedspread to use as a throw, it's great can seat the four kids no probs and click claks out across the boat with plenty of space to walk past, comfy too, I'm going back to buy the underbed storage box this week.

Regards,

Ally p.

• 2 months later...

I have a 21 inch opening at the stern, which is a bit of a problem for my Stressless Recliner, however after an inordinate amount of phone work to the makers I managed to take it apart, just waiting to take it up and put it back together!!!!!

Dont compromise on cr*p furniture, after all you could be "relaxing" on it a lot.

Finally moved aboard with chair, it wasnt such a big deal after all, especially once I found the instructions on how to take it apart!!!!!!

Visitors are impressed with my lovely chair, I am glad I bothered to take the trouble to dismantle it now.