Shropshire union

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi folks, if anyone can suggest where to go and look for a mooring onn the shropy i would be greatful, now having never been there i am not sure where to start, dont want to set of and hope for the best, and i like to get firts hand experiance from folk that have been there and done it.

I would like to be as far north as possible so its easy access from manchester, i guess that is a very nice canal but is there any particular ares to look at.

My boat is a 26 foot cruiser so i hope it wont be to hard to find, from what i have seen on forums about the BW mooring auctions it is worse than ebay and a lot of hassle and can go to daft prices, so it brings me to the good old way and walikng the cut in search and askling folk.

any help will as always be welcome.

wayne and tracey

Hi folks, if anyone can suggest where to go and look for a mooring onn the shropy i would be greatful, now having never been there i am not sure where to start, dont want to set of and hope for the best, and i like to get firts hand experiance from folk that have been there and done it.

I would like to be as far north as possible so its easy access from manchester, i guess that is a very nice canal but is there any particular ares to look at.

My boat is a 26 foot cruiser so i hope it wont be to hard to find, from what i have seen on forums about the BW mooring auctions it is worse than ebay and a lot of hassle and can go to daft prices, so it brings me to the good old way and walikng the cut in search and askling folk.

wayne and tracey

I wouldn't rule out the BW mooring auctions, I got my mooring on the SU through one and got a bargain. If you see a BW mooring that you think would suit, put in a bid at the price you think is right and see if you get it. I live a little West of Manchester and moor near Nantwich. It takes me about an hour to get there and is well worth the drive.

Edited to add:

I don't know if Audlem is too far South for you but there's one at the moment there on Waterscape that ends on Wednesday; only one bid so far at the reserve. Looks a nice spot and you might be lucky if you bid a few pounds higher.

Edited by journeyperson

wayne and tracey

Im interested in this also wayne, im headed to the Shroppie in april. There is the Shady oak pub that has moorings, but im headin g to Tattenhall :lol:

Im interested in this also wayne, im headed to the Shroppie in april. There is the Shady oak pub that has moorings, but im headin g to Tattenhall :lol:

There was certainly plenty (and I mean plenty) of room in Tattenhall when I called in on Friday.

The private on-line mooring site at Soudley was also advertising spaces to let when I passed but the notices were just felt-tip pen on bits of paper, so you couldn''t read the contact phone number on them.

Jim

I called them today , and for my 26`er they want £1349 a year, very nice spot but a bit much for me.

Ill have to watch out for you on my travles :lol:

thanks wayne

Just to add that it looks like i am not to find it difficult to find a spot, aslong its a short cruise to a cosy wee pub i will be as happy as apig in muck :lol:

thanks all for the help.

wayne

Have you tried Swanley Bridge Marina on the Llangollen - just up from Hurlston Junction?

Thanks for that if we get that far down this weekend i will have a look around, been thinking about the llangollen.

http://www.nbcyc.co.uk/Home.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=105

Better value than any comercial outfit

Had a look at there web site last night, now this sounds something for me, only problem is i am worried incase i cant do as much as the club expects/needs, for something like that i would like to be closer tot he boat, mite not be able to get down often enough. Would be nice though to be on s ite like that doing things to help.

It will be considered, thanks fella

wayne

At the NBCYC you'd be paying about half the amount quoted above. The working weekends aren't much of a price to pay for the value you get..

but as they say suit yourself.

Frank

Whilst it may sound good value to some to save 50% on your mooring fees, some prefer to use their boats at the weekend instead of working at the boat club.

Well, what can i say but a big thanks to all PM`s from folk about moorings that are available, didnt realise there would be so many. Well this weekend we aree off to look a few palces, now thoguh not just the shroppie, some on the L&L and Bridgewater, not sure on the bridgewater but no harm in looking.

Anyone about on the L&L around Parbold/Rufford, many nice cruises, and pubs :lol: good access to Lancaster around there which is where i fancy doing a 2 week cruise this year.

A couple of days out of 52 weekends are't much for the saving...

but as I say Suit yourself.

I do and so do many others.

A couple of days spent mowing the grass or painting railings is a couple of days that could be spent working on your boat or even using your boat.

Boat clubs are not to everybodies taste, some, me included, just find them a little bit too chummy and over organised.