Ratchet Winlass

Ralph Claydon

Featured Posts

Hi

Just seen a new Ratchet windlass in the chandlers, made by Ringmain Technologies, Has anybody got one or used one ?

If so what are your thoughts?

To me they seem fairly robust, not too sure how long they will last though.

Edited by Ralph Claydon

Hi

Just seen a new Ratchet windlass in the chandlers, made by Ringmain Technologies, Has anybody got one or used one ?

If so what are your thoughts?

To me they seem fairly robust, not too sure how long they will last though.

I asked about these a few months back - IIRC the concencus view on here was to buy good quality long throw alluminium ones for leverage suplimented with short throw ones were long throw will foul the gates/mechanisms.

So that is what I have bought (not that we even have a boat yet !! but the ones generally supplied on hire boats we have found to be grubby/rusty and heavy).

These are the ones we bought:-

http://www.trafalgarmarineservices.co.uk/d...ium-long-throw/

We are to buy one of these before our April outing:-

http://www.trafalgarmarineservices.co.uk/d...um-short-throw/

I also asked about spinning handles and was warned off them too and in fact have found the allumminium ones spin fine without the aid of a sleeve on the handle.

Just hope if it's a Walsh long throw that it doesn't have same manufacturing faults as this one......

Link to previos thread.

Be carefulout there!

Just hope if it's a Walsh long throw that it doesn't have same manufacturing faults as this one......

Link to previos thread.

Be carefulout there!

Indeed, for the record though Alan did they replace it (reading through the previous thread it was suggested the co. may have done) and was the fault actually attributed to faulty manufacture, having just invested 40 odd quid I'd be interested to know,

cheers.

Edited by MJG