Sad Day

Dawnie

Featured Posts

A very sad day - we were with o/s for a few years.

He introduced so many people to the canals through his company and hope it carries on.

Ownerships is probably the easiest way for most of us to get into boating at a reasonable cost and Allen made that possible for a lot of people

Ownerships is probably the easiest way for most of us to get into boating at a reasonable cost and Allen made that possible for a lot of people

Yes, us included.

We found it an invaluable learning experience in respect of boat ownership, quite apart from thoroughly enjoying 7 years of boating at a very reasonable cost. Without it, I very much doubt if we would have gone on to buy our own boat.

And all done in such a pleasant manner, too.

Such a shame.

Bob.

I am also one of the many that started the road to owning my own boat with Ownerships after many years of hiring.

Sad news indeed as I think the man was the genuine article and cared about the process of shared ownership and his customers.

I hope Ownerships itself can carry on what he began and continue in his style. It may be difficult with the loss of such a strong leader that has built the company from inception to todays success.

I am also one of the many that started the road to owning my own boat with Ownerships after many years of hiring.

Sad news indeed as I think the man was the genuine article and cared about the process of shared ownership and his customers.

I hope Ownerships itself can carry on what he began and continue in his style. It may be difficult with the loss of such a strong leader that has built the company from inception to todays success.

I would second that!

Ownerships strength has always been satisfied owners and ex-owners.

Yesterday, I was contacted by Allen's right hand man, Phil Capp, asking for my assistance on a minor matter. I was left in no doubt that both staff and customers are rallying around to fill the large void that Allen has left.

Allen was very much the genuine article. My sadness at his premature death (he was only 59) is tinged with many memories of his hilarious escapades. Allen could never just have a holiday on a boat - it was always an adventure!

A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to take a trip down the tidal Thames with him. Being a cockney, I was rather humbled by Allen having a much better knowledge of this part of the river than me. Despite him being in poor health, he was in excellent spirits and we relived the occasion of him mooring up on the Thames barrage due to an engine problem as well as many other exploits and escapades.

Sadly, due to ill health, he was not able to be at the 20th OwnerShips show at Braunston a few weeks back.

We have only had our share on Swallow for three seasons but his operation was what "did it for me". Jan and I will miss his banter at the annual syndicate meetings and I trust that his company will continue as his legacy.

He will be sadly missed by all who knew him, customers who became friends and his loyal staff whom I am sure were also friends.

We too owe our boating to Allen -- we bought one, then two shares in an Ownerships boat before buying a boat of our own. Allen genuinely changed our lives and we will forever be grateful to him.