Webasto fault?

Grey Owl

Featured Posts

Hi,

Have a webasto heater and is not starting.

The manual is telling me its a temperature sensor interruption

or temperature sensor short-circuit.

Have checked the main fuse panel with no success.

If you can send me the right direction would be great!

tanks

Owl

Hi,

tanks

Owl

Is that the Webasto unit's fuses, rather than the boat's fuse panel? Take the former out, try again - make sure you put them back in - try again.

If you've got the same problem, give us a bit more detail.

Is that the Webasto unit's fuses, rather than the boat's fuse panel? Take the former out, try again - make sure you put them back in - try again.

If you've got the same problem, give us a bit more detail.

hi,

tried that with no success the system is telling me 5-1 on the monitor.

My be carbon build up? or some electric problem

What you think

Tanks

Owl

• 2 weeks later...
5-1 just says "No Startup" - which you already know.

I wonder if the troubleshooting section in this helps:

http://www.techwebasto.com/heater_main/hea...ooting_Tree.pdf

This bit off topic for a moment. Hi John & Fiona, James here from Salix Alba. Love your blog :lol:

Back on topic. Try shutting down all the 12v on the boat for 10 seconds, then turn the breakers back on. (On 3 failed startups the Webasto memory will automatically lock off. Clearing the memory may help it to start). Is the unit making a purring/blowing noise on start up and is the fuel pump making a 'ticking' sound? Have you checked the electrical connections are fine and that diesel is getting to the unit? There is a link on the forum from a member who has posted illustrated instructions on how to service a Webasto and if I can find the link I will post it here for you. It is very well written and informative. It may well be that you have a knackered component, but is worth checking through the basics of the system first.

Out of interest, how old is the unit and how much is it used?

Don't know if it will help, but recently had a problem with Webasto which turned out to be a blockage in the fuel line - while some fuel was getting through - it wasn't enough.

The symptom was that it went through the start-up sequence (and I got white smoke out of the exhaust) - but after about 3 mins it just shut down.

Apparently (and thanks to Kings Lock Chandlery for the info) - you should get just under 10ml (i.e. 9.5ml) of fuel during the start up sequence - I measured mine at about 5ml (for reference, I used a medicine measuring cup for this)

Though I had already cleaned the burner (as per the good instructions elsewhere on here), and then took it to Kings Lock for a service - which is what helped me find the problem.

Hope you get it resolved,

regards

Hi,

tanks

Owl

Hi, I am trained by webasto and an independant marine electrician. Have you resolved this or is it still ongoing?

Regards,

:lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like its locked out . Think you need to remove the central fuse fot 30 seconds then restart it . Don't think its a fuel problem.

As per previous post, easier to shut off all of the 12v on the boat for 30 secs to a minute to 'remove' the memory on the Webasto chip, then try restarting. Have heard of people whao have had carbon build up on the burner, and by doing bthe start up sequence 2 or three times with the diesel shut off, then disconnecting then reconnecting the 12v, it somehow has cleared the problem, and cleaned out the innerds of the machine. Trust that you have a water seperation filter and an in line diesel filter so that the fuel delivered is in the best possible state to burn correctly. There are quite a number of threads on this forum concerning problems with Webasto heaters. Worth your while trawling through them as there is some good information out there. Rember though, the heater is designed for white (car) diesel. With the sadly variable quality of diesel available to boaters in general throughout the country, there are imo more reasons to suppose that Webasto problems are more fuel related rather than the unit not being up to the job. For that reason in part, we decided to use white diesel in the future, and find that the Webasto, engine, genset and diesel Bubble stove are alot more efficient and trouble free as a consequence. In the case of the Bubble stove, for the amount of heat output required we are now burning a staggering 50% less fuel. Leads me to believe, apart from knowing we are useing cleaner fuel, the smallish increase in the cost per ltr seems worth it.