Black Country Ring

viewer

Featured Posts

Sorry I was abit slow responding to my post of yesterday, but here is what we did in 2008.

4 people in total which included 2 learners

Day 1

11:30 started at Anglo Welsh - Great Haywood

we were lucky as we managed to pick the boat up early, give them a ring and ask if you can do the same

19:15 stopped at Fradley (including 1 hour stop for lunch)

Day 2

09:30 started

19:30 stopped at Curdworth (included 2 hour stop for lunch)

Day 3

08:00 started

15:15 stopped top of Farmer Bridge locks

Day 4

17:30 stopped Wolverhampton top lock (included 1 hour lunch and 1 hour removing rubbish from prop as we were on the OML)

Day 5

08:45 started

17:00 stopped at Brewood on the Shroppie (included 1 hour lunch and winding at Brewood Wharf)

Day 6

08:30 started

18:00 stopped Otherton marina (1.5 hour lunch)

Day 7

18:00 stopped at Weston (included 1.5 hour lunch and going north of Weston to wind)

Day 8

08:00 start

09:15 Great Haywood

The days we full but I would n't say that they were exhausting

Hope this helps

Edited by PeteS

• 1 month later...
Well tomorrow is the day when we set sail on the good ship Golden Fleece.

Any last words of advice, encouragement or warning (yes I've read about log piles!)

Cheers

Good luck and may your windlass turn without giving you blisters!

If you go up or down the Stourbridge 16 wave hello to nb Cobbett, she'll be in the water by then! Rusty hull, two boats along at Dadford's Wharf. Probably have me standing on her bow looking faintly worried and Dave lugging ballast about.

Wriggly

Of course if you would like an easier cruise you could do a return trip up the Caldon. Going along a bit of canal in either direction it is different so you don't have to do a ring.

The Black Country ring (via Farmers bridge and Wolverhampton) is OK in a week if the wife is willing but not really representitive of what canals can offer in scenery.

Another Scenic alternative is Great Heywood to Kidderminster and back - that run is amazingly rural considering how close the Black Country is - and the canal, like the Caldon, is one of the nicest on offer.

• 2 weeks later...

So how did you get on? I ask as we have been saving up our Tesco clubcards and have spent it on a weeks hire out of Worcester - planning to do the Stourport ring but via the Netherton tunnel going clockwise. Not used a hire boat before (UK boats) as we normally use the BBC Club boat - Savoy Hill. I'll be interested to see if the welcome from other boaters is just as warm even if we are in a 'hire boat' ;-) Here is hoping for reasonable weather w/c 24th April.

BTW should we go for a Nicholson or Pearson guide book - always used Nicholson before but need to buy one or tuther.

Roger