Caldon Out & Back

estima

Featured Posts

Planning on doing an out and back on the Caldon from Middlewich in May 2006 (not in public or school holiday time). Obviously, I've got the usual problems of late afternoon pick-up and opening times at the Harecastle to consider, so my calculations leave me three and a half days of Caldon time.

Now I realise that somewhere on this forum, this topic must have been discussed before but as I'm at work and all you tax payers are contributing to my salary, I thought it best not to spend time looking for the info but just add a post in my break time.

So, the question is - will three and a half days cruising on the Caldon do it justice ? Or would you recommend setting off from nearer the junction with the T&M to maximise time and fit in the Leek branch ?

Thanks for listening.

Edited by estima

Estima.

Three and a half days will allow you a good look at the Caldon. Firstly as is always said about the canal the first few miles are not very inspiring but it gets better and better don't give up and turn back as some do. I would advise do the Froghall branch first, The canal joins the river Churnet for a mile or two, that can be good fun, most boats can now get through the tunnel but it is a tight fit so ignore the guide book unless it is very up to date. There are some very posh new moorings through the basin, not a bad place to spend a night.

There are several excellent pubs with good moorings, the Holly Bush at Denford, the Boat at Cheddleton and certainly not to be missed the Black Lion at Consall Forge all have excelent moorings for an overnight stop. The Leek Branch is only a couple of hours each way, it is a pleasant cruise and worth doing perhaps on the way back, that too has had some improvements lately including a nice mooring in the terminus basin if you one of those weird sorts that don't like pubs.

Edited by John Orentas

Cheers John,

As always, good advice.

I didn't realise the Leek branch was only a few hours job ! Will definitely do that on the way back.

I'm aware the first part of the Caldon is a bit uninspiring as it is in the centre of the Potteries. However, I grew up about a mile from Froghall so know the scenery that way is fantastic. Will we get a 59 foot boat through Froghall tunnel ??

I'm not one of the weird sorts who doesn't like pubs - that's what our crew goes for ! I have been in the Hollybush at Denford quite a few times, and also have fond memories of drinking Ruddles on daught at the Black Lion when a mates older brother took us for a few pints when we were at the impressionable age of 14.

Edited by estima

Estima.

"Will we get a 59 foot boat through Froghall tunnel ??"

Fill up your water tank and preferably put a couple of fat friends up at the front. I did actually scratch the top/front of my cabin on the way in but it is still worth doing. There is a good size basin on the far side for winding and you can go down one brand new lock and moor up to one of a few pontoon moorings on what was the section of canal to Uttoxeter, soon to be restored.

Edited by John Orentas

"Fill up your water tank and preferably put a couple of fat friends up at the front."

Luckily we have access to some of them kind of friends, plus we tend to store all the cases of beer at the front so they hang round there like flies around you know what.

Estima.

"Will we get a 59 foot boat through Froghall tunnel ??"

Fill up your water tank and preferably put a couple of fat friends up at the front. I did actually scratch the top/front of my cabin on the way in but it is still worth doing. There is a good size basin on the far side for winding and you can go down one brand new lock and moor up to one of a few pontoon moorings on what was the section of canal to Uttoxeter, soon to be restored.

The length of the boat doesn't matter (unless you want to go through sideways). The main thing is how high is the cabin and how wide at the top, to fit in the arch.

We went through back in 1996, but it was a tight fit. There's a report and a couple of pictures on our website. They've lowered the water level by several inches recently so for a lot of boats it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The only reliable way is to try it (and if not, you'll be very good at reversing by the time you get back to the first winding point)

The Black Lion remains pretty much unspoilt, Ruddles on the other hand.....

:P

The Black Lion, I have spent many happy hours in that place, once in the taproom I saw out of the corner of my eye something scurrying across the floor, assuming it to be a mouse I waited for another sighting and sure enough there was another one but it wasn't a mouse but the biggest spider I have seen in my life, it was huge. I didn't say anything at the time as I know from experience there will always be some heroic moron who will leap about stamping on anything they think that moves. I had a quiet word with the landlady later she told me the pub is quite famous for them, 'old friends' as she put it. I wonder if they or their descendants are still there.

Another time the same landlady told me that hundreds of bats roost behind that famous pub sign, and if we are there as darkness falls we would see them fly off for the night. We sat and waited for hours, not a single bat.

Edited by John Orentas