Chilli Jam

Guest wanted

Featured Posts

Right, this one was a bit daunting as I've not done owt like it before, however it's easy and the results are amazing, this will be the one to have with cold meats.

here goes,

You'll need a food processor or a steady hand and patients!

Heavy bottomed pan

8 red peppers

16 red chillies, (I used the standard ones, but you know your own tastes

1kg jam sugar (has to be Jam sugar as it is full of pectin which helps it set, I think)

650ml of white wine vinegar.

Chop the red peppers into inch chunks and run through the processor, you want small flecks, this will be a bit wet so a sieve may be required to drain off liquid.

Deseed chillies and again bung in processor, looking for flecks again.

Pour vinegar into pan on a high heat, tip in sugar and allow to dissolve.

Add peppers and chillies, DO NOT STIR, it'll make the jam cloudy.

Bring it up to a good boil removing scum from the top as you go.

I boiled for about 25-30 mins.

Leave to cool overnight

You should end up with a reddish clear liquid with little flecks of chilli in it.

A friend gave me this recipie and said it would last upto about six months unopened or one if opened, I've made about 6 jars and think it'll be gone in a week!

Please let me know how you get on, or if you have any suggestions on what I should make next!

:lol:

Please let me know how you get on, or if you have any suggestions on what I should make next!

Is that 'patients' or 'patience', and in russian meerkat voice - 'two very different thing' - tsk :lol:

That sounds lovely. I do not have a processor, I wonder if I could do it without?

You could but it'll keep you busy for a while, unless you can chop like a chef.

I got my processor from argos, it's a mini one, so it fits on board, it cost about £15 and seems to be paying of. Not sure how much power it would use on the move as I would only use it whilst at the marina.

good luck

Is that 'patients' or 'patience', and in russian meerkat voice - 'two very different thing' - tsk :lol:

Dyslexia is not a criem! :lol:

That sounds an interesting recipe - does it taste very vinegary, or no more so than a chutney? I've only ever made a chilli jelly, which was basically crab apple jelly with finely chopped chilli stirred into it at the last minute.

Similarly, I make lime and coriander jelly using the grated rind of a lime and a desert spoon of finely chopped coriander stirred in to a 1lb jar of crab apple jelly - it is great with roast lamb.

Stickleback

For lack of anything better to do or any idea of what to buy them I am going to make everyone chilli jam for xmas.

Thanks wanted!

This looks like a good recipie:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8257/sweet-chilli-jam

* 8 red peppers , deseeded and roughly chopped

* 10 red chillies , roughly chopped

* finger-sized piece fresh root ginger , peeled and roughly chopped

* 8 garlic cloves , peeled

* 400g can cherry tomatoes

* 750g golden caster sugar

* 250ml red wine vinegar

Right, this one was a bit daunting as I've not done owt like it before, however it's easy and the results are amazing, this will be the one to have with cold meats.

here goes,

Heavy bottomed pan

8 red peppers

16 red chillies, (I used the standard ones, but you know your own tastes

1kg jam sugar (has to be Jam sugar as it is full of pectin which helps it set, I think)

650ml of white wine vinegar.

Chop the red peppers into inch chunks and run through the processor, you want small flecks, this will be a bit wet so a sieve may be required to drain off liquid.

Deseed chillies and again bung in processor, looking for flecks again.

Pour vinegar into pan on a high heat, tip in sugar and allow to dissolve.

Add peppers and chillies, DO NOT STIR, it'll make the jam cloudy.

Bring it up to a good boil removing scum from the top as you go.

I boiled for about 25-30 mins.

Leave to cool overnight

You should end up with a reddish clear liquid with little flecks of chilli in it.

A friend gave me this recipie and said it would last upto about six months unopened or one if opened, I've made about 6 jars and think it'll be gone in a week!

We just made about 20 jars of this and it is, if I can say it myself, delicious - leave it a bit before you eat it

We just made about 20 jars of this and it is, if I can say it myself, delicious - leave it a bit before you eat it

cool, it is now a firm fav, I made a load for xmas and will now have to do a bit more for the us! Glad you like it

For lack of anything better to do or any idea of what to buy them I am going to make everyone chilli jam for xmas.

Thanks wanted!

This looks like a good recipie:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8257/sweet-chilli-jam

* 8 red peppers , deseeded and roughly chopped

* 10 red chillies , roughly chopped

* finger-sized piece fresh root ginger , peeled and roughly chopped

* 8 garlic cloves , peeled

* 400g can cherry tomatoes

* 750g golden caster sugar

* 250ml red wine vinegar

Mmm Ginger would be good, I'll try this soon and report back! Nice

That sounds an interesting recipe - does it taste very vinegary, or no more so than a chutney? I've only ever made a chilli jelly, which was basically crab apple jelly with finely chopped chilli stirred into it at the last minute.

Similarly, I make lime and coriander jelly using the grated rind of a lime and a desert spoon of finely chopped coriander stirred in to a 1lb jar of crab apple jelly - it is great with roast lamb.

Stickleback

Lime and coriander sound delicious, I'm gonna be busy in January.

thanks for that!