100% waterproof Laminate

floatingphil

Featured Posts

I stumbled across a new product this week which could be useful for das boats... 100% waterproof flooring laminate. Have to say ive not seen it in the flesh yet but doesnt shrink or expand and is damp and condensation proof. Made by Quickstep it , if its as good as the standard stuff i may look at fitting it.

Phil

I stumbled across a new product this week which could be useful for das boats... 100% waterproof flooring laminate. Have to say ive not seen it in the flesh yet but doesnt shrink or expand and is damp and condensation proof. Made by Quickstep it , if its as good as the standard stuff i may look at fitting it.

Phil

Is it 'Aquastep' to which you refer?

I'm looking at doing floors in both bathroom at home and on our boat (had new bottom, floor removed for welding)

Found this :-

http://www.completelyflooring.co.uk/aquastep.html

Is this what you were referring to?

Edit. Grac & Favour beat me to it.

Just clicked on designs and got 'There are no products to list in this category'????????????

Yes aquastep it is. I convert basements for a living so it may be useful for that too. I want rid of the carpet on the boat and solid floor would be hassle at this stage. Anyone seen it in the flesh? how does it compare with the mdf stuff

Phil

Yes aquastep it is. I convert basements for a living so it may be useful for that too. I want rid of the carpet on the boat and solid floor would be hassle at this stage. Anyone seen it in the flesh? how does it compare with the mdf stuff

Phil

I would have thought anything would be better than MDF for flooring, especially on a boat.

I would have thought anything would be better than MDF for flooring, especially on a boat.

There is waterproof MDF flooring. Our home bathroom was done in it two years ago. No probs whatsoever despite four teenagers constantly soaking it after showering each day.

Same with chipboard, I have had a piece of the green stuff in the garden for getting on two years. No sign of any deterioration whatsoever. Unlike the water and boil proof plywood floor in my boat which got wet once and is now delaminating.

There is waterproof MDF flooring. Our home bathroom was done in it two years ago. No probs whatsoever despite four teenagers constantly soaking it after showering each day.

Same with chipboard, I have had a piece of the green stuff in the garden for getting on two years. No sign of any deterioration whatsoever. Unlike the water and boil proof plywood floor in my boat which got wet once and is now delaminating.

Well I never, learn something new everyday. What make is the one in your bathroom, out of interest.

The ones I've seen in B&Q and the likes always looked soft underneath.

Well I never, learn something new everyday. What make is the one in your bathroom, out of interest.

The ones I've seen in B&Q and the likes always looked soft underneath.

Sorry don't know the actual make, but it came from B&Q, we got a load to do both the kitchen and the bathroom. Quite inexpensive, and has taken some abuse, especially in the bathroom. I know what you mean about looking soft, and I had misgivings about using MDF based stuff, but been OK to date. I would have no problem using this particular stuff in the boat. It is far better than the so called waterproof and boilproof ply that we currently have for a floor in our boat. Waste of money that stuff.

MDF is splash proof so to speak but if it gets seriously wet underneath it will buckle badley. Mdf also needs a gap around the edge to alow for expansion were aquastep wont which would be good on the boat because i dont want scotia edging trims ( look pants).Fit the laminate then the skirtings!! Quickstep generally is excellent, ive fitted miles of the stuff. Only fitted bottom end buget stuff on a couple of occasions because the client supplied it. Looked like its cost... Cheap!

Phil

MDF is splash proof so to speak but if it gets seriously wet underneath it will buckle badley. Mdf also needs a gap around the edge to alow for expansion were aquastep wont which would be good on the boat because i dont want scotia edging trims ( look pants).Fit the laminate then the skirtings!! Quickstep generally is excellent, ive fitted miles of the stuff. Only fitted bottom end buget stuff on a couple of occasions because the client supplied it. Looked like its cost... Cheap!

Phil

The stuff I bought from B&Q was called Floormaster. As you say, it's moisture resistant and splash-proof, but I don't know what would happen if it was soaked.

I think there must be different grades of green MDF because I built a tiled counter in my bathroom from 18mm green MDF and the remnant was left outside for 6 months until my neighbour asked if he could use it to build something. It hadn't buckled or warped at all.

By the way, what is Quickstep exactly and what is it made from?

Edited by blackrose

Mdf also needs a gap around the edge to alow for expansion were aquastep wont.

I think you will find that plastics expand & contract with the temperature more than wood does with moisture.

Just like the poly carb twin / triple / multi wall roof glazing sheets.