Somerset Coal Canal Talks

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

bit of a plug for the SCCS I know but...

We are having a series of winter talks, held at Radstock Working Mens Club about ten miles south of Bath. On October 22nd (7:30pm) I'm afraid you've got me comparing what is on the rest of the canal system with the SCC, how lessons were or were not learned etc

On 19th November at 7:30pm we've got a guy name of Andrew Linham showing cine films of railways around Radstock from the 1960's, if there's any rail buffs near by who read here?

Also willing to take "Radstock's Canal" a talk that intorduces the coal canal to those who don't know it, to groups who might be interested

Patrick

Chairman SCCS

Just to add (and partly to get it back up to the top again)

If anyone is planning to go it is helpful to let me know so we have an idea of numbers

If you are not planning to go, but decide at the last minute you'd like to, that isn't a problem

http://www.coalcanal.org/contacts.htm

website doesn't have my phone number for some reason. PM me if you want it

• 1 month later...

Welcome Seinfeldvd! As a new member, you may not have realised that Patrick asked you to "pm" him for his telephone number. This means that you send him a Personal Message which cannot be seen by other members. I think that if you click on his name you will be able to do so.

I used to travel around here, collecting milk, and often wondered about certain structures that I passed. I knew that some where old railway sites, but i never understood why there was such a large structure with arched 'entrances' seemingly in the middle of nowehere, next to the A367...

It is an Aquaduct. Well, it was.

i have just enjoyed an hours worth of searching for the old line of the canal on Google Earth, and been spotting places where I used to cross it.

Great stuff, back to Google Earth...

I used to travel around here, collecting milk, and often wondered about certain structures that I passed. I knew that some where old railway sites, but i never understood why there was such a large structure with arched 'entrances' seemingly in the middle of nowehere, next to the A367...

It is an Aquaduct. Well, it was.

i have just enjoyed an hours worth of searching for the old line of the canal on Google Earth, and been spotting places where I used to cross it.

Great stuff, back to Google Earth...

I presume you mean Dunkerton Aqueduct?

Just to keep this up to date

The railway talk by Andrew Linham suffered a setback as the promised film of Kilmersdon Incline had not been returned from the lab who were digitising it, so we had footage of other railways including the S and D to Burnham. He will give the original talk on the 28th January

We now have the following programme

December 17th: The Monmouth, Brecon and Abergavenny Canals (me)

January 28th: Railway Films on the 1960's including Kilmersdon Incline by Andrew Linham

February 25th: Boat lifts, including video of several European lifts, by Terry Paget

March 25th, the restoration of Brassknocker Basin by Tim Wheeldon

(Brassknocker Basin is the first length of canal from Dundas Aqueduct)

All at Radstock Working Mens Club, 7:30pm kick off

looking at the area from the air, I don't suppose there is a chance of restoring the whole canal, but are there any plans for partial restoration, or extension of the Dundas (Brassknocker) section?

We changed our constitution two years ago to allow restoration rather than just preservation, but full restoration would be very difficult and is not our policy (which doesn't mean a future AGM couldn't change that). We are developing ideas for partial restoration, working with the land owners, but the plans are still in their infancy. Our biggest problem is resources, there are plenty of practical schemes but money needs to be raised to do them and then means of maintaining them found.

• 1 month later...

January 28th*: Local railway films of the 1960’s including Kilmersdon Incline with Andrew Linham

*This talk has been rearranged as the Kilmersdon Footage was unfortunatley not available in November

February 25th: Boat Lifts with Terry Paget

March 25th Restoring Brassknocker Basin with Tim Wheeldon

April 15th: The Canals of the South Wales Coalfield Part 2 with Patrick Moss

PM me for more details

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies to keep updating this thread, but it seems the easiest way

This months talk for the Somersetshire Coal Canal is NEXT THURSDAY, 25th February, at 7:30pm at the Radstock Working Men's Club. The Subject is CANAL BOAT LIFTS by Terry Paget, and he will have, among other things, footage of some of the bigger continental boat lifts.

No booking needed, just turn up. Bar available

We are also now on FACEBOOK

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=255247428606

so if you are a facebook user please sign up and give us moral support!

There'll be a bigger announcement about the facebook group soon

any queries please PM me

• 1 month later...