Fuse sizes

Featured Posts

Hi pretty new to boating but had a few questions answered on here, i have a dawncraft 22 with bog standard light strips on ceiling 12v the fuse box is a mismatch of wrong fuses at the moment from a previous owner i need to know what size fuse should be used for the lights and what size fuse for the small plug in sockets for 12v items thanks

steve

Hi pretty new to boating but had a few questions answered on here, i have a dawncraft 22 with bog standard light strips on ceiling 12v the fuse box is a mismatch of wrong fuses at the moment from a previous owner i need to know what size fuse should be used for the lights and what size fuse for the small plug in sockets for 12v items thanks

steve

fuses must be selected to protect the wiring in the light circuit. What is the wire size (in sq.mm.)?

As said, we really need to know how big the wires are, as the fuses need to be matched to that.

In the absence of any other information at all I'd suggest 5 amp fuses for the lighting circuit, on the basis that 5 amps would be plenty for a couple of lights, and it is highly unlikely that the wiring would be so small as to be incapable of safely carrying 5 amps.

As for the plug-in sockets it's much more difficult to say. Without knowing about the wiring I'd go for 5 amp fuses there too, although that may not be enough for the items that you intend to plug in - in which case plugging something in may blow the fuse, but that is better than plugging something in and having the wires catch fire!