Waterscape.Com

NB Willawaw

Featured Posts

I seem to remember that Richard Fairhurst was talking some time ago about a new mapping facility on Waterscape.com.

Are the maps currently on their website the finished article ??

Richard, I know you have a new incarnation now with WW but could you just enlighten me pls ??

Yes, they are finished (in so far as anything on the web is ever finished!). They're zoomable, scrollable, highlight the waterways and have togglable icons.

There's an example here (for the Oxford Canal) and you need Flash to see them. I think the Waterscape people might be working on a more rudimentary non-Flash version for the future.

Really glad you like them - that was what I spent a good part of the first half of this year doing!

I gave a presentation on them at the Society of Cartographers' Summer School in Cambridge this year, and will be writing the whole experience up for the Society's journal.

I have access to online historic OS maps, but unfortunately you need to be either staff or student to get on the site, and I cannot copy them for copyright reasons. It lets you swap between the modern OS map and past maps back to 1850-ish.

Its quite handy for finding out what the ex-bridges you see were. And they help me in my continuing search for mileposts!

The whole waterscape website is very well put together.