K&A Transit

jez56uk

Featured Posts

I have a 27 foot GRP cruiser that is moored on the Thames in Reading. Normally we cruise between Wallingford and Windsor, but recently I find myself being drawn towards cruising the entire length of the Kennet and Avon from Reading to Bristol. My boat has a beam of 2.93m, and air draft of 2.10m (with screens down) and a draft of 0.64m (24"). Given these maximum dimensions, are there any limitations to being able to accomplish a complete transit of the K&A? I'm particularly concerned about bridge heights and water depth. Any advice is appreciated.

Jez

I have a 27 foot GRP cruiser that is moored on the Thames in Reading. Normally we cruise between Wallingford and Windsor, but recently I find myself being drawn towards cruising the entire length of the Kennet and Avon from Reading to Bristol. My boat has a beam of 2.93m, and air draft of 2.10m (with screens down) and a draft of 0.64m (24"). Given these maximum dimensions, are there any limitations to being able to accomplish a complete transit of the K&A? I'm particularly concerned about bridge heights and water depth. Any advice is appreciated.

Jez

I am sure Waterscape.com or the Nicholsons book will give you the official BW figures which may or may not be correct. I notice you do not mention having passed under Osney Bridge (Oxford) so I am suspicious of your air draft. As working narrow boats tend to draw 30 inches plus I suspect your water draft will be fine. It is similar to very many narrowboats.