Boat builder recommendation

JanetH

Featured Posts

Well there have been those "concept" type ones reviewed in mags some years back. Seem to recall a "Phoenix 58" in a strange shape, and with a kind of bathing platform, and a price tage (I think) of £250K. (And I thing the 58 meant it was only a 58 foot boat ?).

They initially wanted around £140K to £150K for both Dover and Leviathan, IIRC.

A different world!

You don't seem to see many of these 'concept boats' cruising round the cut - perhaps they are too precious?

You don't seem to see many of these 'concept boats' cruising round the cut - perhaps they are too precious?

Several of these type of boats were launched to great fanfare in the waterways mags during the boom times but you would often see them offered for sale not too long after at a much reduced price and still not selling easily even then.

Roger

Several of these type of boats were launched to great fanfare in the waterways mags during the boom times but you would often see them offered for sale not too long after at a much reduced price and still not selling easily even then.

Roger

Well personally most I have seen are "Upminster", as are those ludicrous "conversions" of working boats like the two I mentioned.

I'm firmly a traditional narrow boat fan, and not usually particularly into wooden boats.

But if I were a very rich man, nothing moved me much more than this, on our big trip out.

She is absolutely "drop dead" gorgeous, and, to an untrained eye, at least, just the right mix between restoration and over-restoration.

I was completely smitten, remembering her, as I do, from the 1970s, where her future looked far less rosy.

Kingfisher.jpg

Well personally most I have seen are "Upminster", as are those ludicrous "conversions" of working boats like the two I mentioned.

I'm firmly a traditional narrow boat fan, and not usually particularly into wooden boats.

But if I were a very rich man, nothing moved me much more than this, on our big trip out.

She is absolutely "drop dead" gorgeous, and, to an untrained eye, at least, just the right mix between restoration and over-restoration.

I was completely smitten, remembering her, as I do, from the 1970s, where her future looked far less rosy.

Kingfisher.jpg

Wow! You would feel like a director of the canal company cruising around in that!

Edited to add: Does it come complete with a butler to serve the Champagne?

Edited by NB Alnwick

Edited to add: Does it come complete with a butler to serve the Champagne?

We were moored up to it later in the day at Three Locks, when Sue1946 came to visit.

It is sadly true that as we sipped beers from Wilko glasses, next door Champagne appeared to be being served in cut crystal, (but not by a butler!).

One story of the boat, presumably true, says that some of the original GJC Directors china is still aboard.

Now that is a class boat, in a way no modern pretender can ever hope to be, I believe.

Kingfisher.jpg

Now that IS classy elegance. Lovely!

Roger