Back from The Erewash and loved it!

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Back from a three day trip up the Erewash and just want to say to anyone thinking of doing it sometime soon - go for it!

Stayed one night in The Langley Mill basin and met a few members of the Erewash Canal Association - very proud of thier work and rightly so, and then another night in Sandiacre by the junction with the Derby Canal (lovely mooring!).

Saw great wildlife and the diversity of the canal makes it really interesting. One thing though, the locks are hard going! I even managed to snap a windlass!! it was a cheapie I bought at the Loughborough Canal festival however it says something about how tough they were!

Cruising time was 7 and half hours up.. longer coming back. That's it really, just thought I'd share it with you.. !

We also did the Erewash for the first time this year, found the first part from trent lock a bit ugly, but we enjoyed the wildlife and scenery in general though, especially between ilkeston and langley mill around shipley. Will definitely do it again. Enjoyed the lack of traffic on the canal also it mnade for a peaceful cruise. We found the locks very hard going and had to empty and fill each one all the way up. We found it quicker coming back down from Langley mill, (approx 6 hours, compared to 8 up). Perhaps the narrow boat we came down with helped as we opened the locks let them in and they closed it as we sailed to the next one.

Our main gripe was all the fisherman who insisted on fishing at the entrance and exit of the locks then pulled faces when we tried to moor up to sort the gates! :lol:

A pleasant change to the trent and soar, hopefully one day it will rejoin the cromford.

hi spaceman... when you get chance have a look a my blog.. funny you should mention the anglers as that was the reason we were cruising the erewash! we encountered a few grumpy chaps not used to seeing many boats but most of the fishermen and women were friendly enough!

Good blog, I liked the picture of the graffitti wall, we commented on that one as we sailed by. I had heard about the plaques you can buy but no where was open when we got there. As we live up the hill from the basin I will drop by again and buy one!

We are looking forward to about 8 days sailing soon either along the trent and Mersey or down the soar!

Keep boating!