Bilge paint?

Featured Posts

My bilge has two sets of plates, the old base and the new. I thought about painting but have to tread carefully as I don't want to seal any water in between plates. As it is, I feel I can wet vacuum water out by tilting the boat. I'll probably paint some of the area but not all of it.

Although my boat is a cruiser stern the main source of damp was the PRV venting straight into the bilge (the previous owner was ignorant and the builders should be shot for installing it that way). Fixing it for the time being with a bucket under the pipe I soaked up the excess water with Tesco nappies and left it for a couple of days to dry out completely.

So last Monday I spent half the day scraping out the old paint and rust then vacuuming all the dust out. After that it was a 1-2 hour job painting the base plate and part way up the sides using a long pile radiator roller and a brush for the odd nooks. I've only done the lower rusty parts for now as it isn't the nicest job in the world. Also I figured I'd let the fumes evaporate before doing any more.

It's pretty hard graft doing this job as you've got to be a bit of a contortionist to get to parts but it's certainly rewarding to see it clean, dry and shiny. I'm going to do the rest section by section until finished - it'll probably be like painting the Forth bridge.

My bilge has two sets of plates, the old base and the new. I thought about painting but have to tread carefully as I don't want to seal any water in between plates. As it is, I feel I can wet vacuum water out by tilting the boat. I'll probably paint some of the area but not all of it.

if you drill a hole right through both plates the water will drain out, no? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

i am going to use Owatrol Oil, then their CIP then Danboline for the bilge and engine compartment because it is very rusty dirty and i cant do two coats quickly. i hope it will last 10 years. watch this space!

any other ideas welcomed

cheers

roger