Buttys where are they

boatboss

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Anybody know where the buttys Romford and Coniston are or even if they still exist they used to be paired with Python at various times.

Latest info re Python now out of water at Redhill Marina being prepared for blacking and BSS work

Hi all,

Anybody know where the buttys Romford and Coniston are or even if they still exist they used to be paired with Python at various times.

Latest info re Python now out of water at Redhill Marina being prepared for blacking and BSS work

CONISTON was cut down in 1962, the fore end retaining the original name and becoming a motor house boat. When advertised for sale in 1978 it was said to be 58' and in poor condition. The last record I have is September 1978 when it was seen at Charity Dock, Bedworth.

ROMFORD is still about, but now motorised and fitted with a house boat conversion and is currently owned by a member of the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club.

I have numerous fleet lists including;

25 October 1949 - PYTHON and ROMFORD - T. Boswell

13 May 1952 - PYTHON and DAWLEY - J. Boswell

01 October 1954 - PYTHON and FAZELEY - J. Boswell

02 July 1957 - PYTHON and LANGHO - R. Wallington

20 May 1958 - PYTHON and CONISTON - E. Barrett Snr

26 January 1959 - PYTHON - no butty or steerer listed

15 February 1960 - PYTHON - no butty or steerer listed

Romford's cabinless hull was on the bank at Sandiacre around 1987 - 1990. Had a poor quality counter conversion from memory. It was advertised for sale in 2 editions of Waterways World around 1990. Eventually sold, it moved up the Erewash Canal to Anchor Boats, where it was fitted with a full length cabin.

I've seen Romford many times over the last few years on an island at Thames Ditton , full length cabin and rather poor-looking counter conversion .

Appears to be residential . Most recent sighting two months ago .

Duncan

CONISTON was cut down in 1962, the fore end retaining the original name and becoming a motor house boat. When advertised for sale in 1978 it was said to be 58' and in poor condition. The last record I have is September 1978 when it was seen at Charity Dock, Bedworth.

ROMFORD is still about, but now motorised and fitted with a house boat conversion and is currently owned by a member of the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club.

I have numerous fleet lists including;

25 October 1949 - PYTHON and ROMFORD - T. Boswell

13 May 1952 - PYTHON and DAWLEY - J. Boswell

01 October 1954 - PYTHON and FAZELEY - J. Boswell

02 July 1957 - PYTHON and LANGHO - R. Wallington

20 May 1958 - PYTHON and CONISTON - E. Barrett Snr

26 January 1959 - PYTHON - no butty or steerer listed

15 February 1960 - PYTHON - no butty or steerer listed

thanks for this very useful, if you know anymore about Python's history we would welcome it

Pete